Intern - Media Relations & Communications Preseason
Los Angeles SparksLos Angeles, CA
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Reporting to: Director of Public Relations and Coordinator of Public Relations
Salary: Non-paid, college credit offered
Job Purpose: This internship program is a hands-on opportunity for students to build their work experience and learn the behind-the-scenes operations of a WNBA team. Interns will participate in all areas of media relations and the many facets of working for a professional sports team. This position will assist the communications department with all initiatives and opportunities as it relates to media relations, public relations, community outreach, player appearances, and engagement and external communications.
Key Program Benefits:
• Career Related hands on experience with a Championship Professional Sports Team
• An inside look at the PR and Communication department and game day responsibilities
• Overall skill creation with regards to all aspects of PR and Communications
• Opportunity to explore different avenues of the sports industry through access to various departments.
• This is a fun, fast-paced internship that will add real work experience to your resume as well as your coursework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collect media clippings and media contacts
• Maintain and handle media lists: local, national, entertainment, business, community and sports
• Assist in writing PR materials for Sparks website
• Assist in the production of media guide and preseason materials
• Mandatory two days in the office; additional days available
• Research media outlets and assist in PR Campaigns
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Working to achieve Bachelors or Masters degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Sports Management or related fields.
• Internships with college sports information department a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills; basketball and WNBA knowledge and passion are strongly preferred.
• Quick learner who is able to adapt and excel in various environments.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency with HTML, InDesign and Photoshop and social media tools.
• Self motivated, positive, reliable and high-energy.
• Ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced and high pressure environment; are detail oriented and very organized.
• Adobe InDesign REQUIRED
Reliable transportation; use of personal vehicle to and from practice and ability to work weekends, nights and holidays