Los Angeles AngelsAnaheim, CA
This was removed by the employer on 6/18/2021 9:23:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Sports Category
Search for General Counsel jobs in Anaheim-CA
Search all General Counsel postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a General Counsel?
Full Time Job
Angels BaseballGeneral Counsel / Sr. Director, Legal Affairs and Risk Management
This position reports directly to the Senior Vice-President, Finance and Administration and is responsible for providing legal representation, advice, counsel and opinions in all areas of law affecting the operation of Angels Baseball LP; LAA 1, LLC; and SRB, LLC including transactional and commercial law, intellectual property, civil litigation, real estate, administrative matters, insurance and employment. The position is required to work closely with members of all departments, advising on legal matters in an effort to reduce the club's legal costs and losses. The scope of responsibility includes providing legal guidance and research, drafting and reviewing documents, managing outside counsel/litigation and developing work practices and policies to reduce costs.
• Research legal issues and provide legal advice to management and company personnel.
• Provide counsel and advice concerning compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
• Negotiate, draft and review legal terms of contracts with rights holders, sponsors, vendors, unions, employees and suite holders.
• Select and supervise outside counsel who provide special expertise, assist with transactional issues, or handle litigation matters.
• Initiate or defend and handle litigation as needed.
• Provide guidance to Human Resources with respect to labor and employment matters.
• Negotiate terms and conditions of real estate development transactions, including initiating, preparing and reviewing real estate documents.
• Manage the organization's legal interests, such as intellectual property protection, licensing and corporate governance and public policy.
• Act as liaison to the City Attorney with respect to legal issues.
• Manage collection efforts and pursue collection claims.
• Represent club in administrative proceedings.
• Oversight of insurance programs and recommend actions to reduce exposure.
• Act as liaison with insurance carriers and brokers with respect to claims, coverage, reporting and renewals.
• Proactively manage claims from prevention and incidence through litigation and/or settlement. Recommend policies and work practices to limit loss experience.
• Ongoing review of workers compensation reserves.
• Doctor of Jurisprudence from an ABA Accredited Law School
• Member in good standing or eligible for in-house registration State Bar of California
• A minimum of 15-20 years of legal experience in legal areas relevant to club
• Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Sports business and sports-based real estate development background preferred
• Strong negotiation and creative problem solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with a variety of diverse individuals
• Organized, methodical and analytical
• Motivated; willing to work long, non-standard hours
• Knowledgeable about workers compensation and medical billing codes and fees, preferred
• Comprehensive understanding of injuries and rehabilitation common to baseball players, preferred
Physical Demands - Persons in this position may have to:
• Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time
• May be subjected to loud noises during stadium events
• Frequently traverse to various locations around the stadium
• May occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
• May be subjected to extreme heat (over 100 degrees) when working outdoors i.e. performing work in and around the stadium
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Angels believe that diversity contributes to a more enriched collective perspective and a better decision-making process. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can, and we encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.