Digital Content Director
Full Time Job
The digital content director is responsible for managing and growing FOX40.com along with recruiting and coaching a successful web team daily. They will oversee and improve the daily packaging and distribution of all digital daily news and enterprise content across all FOX40 digital platforms. Their goal is to increase pageviews, page per sessions, and users across all digital audience segments on ABC4.com while prioritizing, but not limiting, in-DMA reach. The Digital Content Director is a strategist that uses data to determine content decisions.
The digital content director has a firm understanding of how to construct story "voice" while avoiding bias and editorialization. They are an AP Style expert that holds published content to the highest quality and journalistic standards.
The digital content director is a coach that knows how to manage and grow different personality types to meet their highest potential in their professional responsibilities. They establish clear expectations and with effective modes of accountability. They are capable and enthusiastic to be a champion for digital best practices across all departments.
The digital content director will lead a digital culture in the political epicenter of California with long-term goals in mind. They can strategize from a 30,000-foot view and manage from the ground while interacting with the entire FOX40 Newsroom and other senior staff members.
• Oversees daily operation of FOX40.com
• Train, coach, and manage a team of digital producers and editor/distro producers
• Communicates goals, processes, and expectations for digital success across all departments
• Communicates digital data goads and results on a daily basis to digital team and regional lead plus the other Nexstar stations based in California
• Establishes expectations and accountability for digital KPIs, like increasing pageviews and pages/session
• Evaluates website traffic trends to make daily and long-term content decisions
• Assigns and edits stories, photographs, graphics, videos, audio and other news content for digital platforms
• Build relationships across the newsroom to assure we are first to market with breaking news and enterprise content
• Supervises work of other staff producing news for digital platforms
• Provides journalism requirements in the development of digital content and distribution
• Willing to adjust shift as needed to coach direct reports or produce if necessary
• Works with regional digital lead to evaluate goals on at least a weekly basis
• Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics, and standards
• Excellent news judgment and knowledge in managing online news operations
• Organized, technical problem solver to manage briskly paced, multi-platform digital news operation based on data
• Expert in SEO best practices and AP Style
• Proficient in Google Analytics, Chartbeat, and CrowdTangle
• Excellent communications skills to effectively navigate the evolving and growing influence of digital across all departments
• Self-motivated, competitive, assertive, and capable of working independently and under pressure
• Working knowledge of a range of significant regional and state-wide public affairs issues
• Ease with learning and seeking out new technology in a fast-evolving industry
• Experience in building digital news teams and news operations a plus
• Four years' experience in an online operation with strong news or editorial focus preferred
• B.A. in journalism, mass communications, marketing, equivalent experience may substitute
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The Promotions Producer must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Promotions Director must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and can handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.