KswbSan Diego, CA
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Station Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Assignment Manager jobs in San Diego-CA
Search all Assignment Manager postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Assignment Manager? ROLE: Individual will coordinate daily news coverage on broadcast and digital platforms, maintain assignment desk functions and perform duties as required as part of FOX 5's news management team.
DESCRIPTION: The assignment desk is the center of it all; breaking stories, assigning crews and coordinating with broadcast and digital producers. FOX 5 is not your boring TV station. We are an aggressive and fast-paced newsroom determined to tell interesting stories and breaking news. If you've never heard of an assignment editor, don't apply. If multi-tasking isn't your strength, then this job is not for you. If you're up for the challenge of managing a team, growing staff, and helping shape the station's editorial landscape, then apply online.
• Manages assignment desk staff to find relevant, compelling news content for top-rated daytime and afternoon newscasts
• Leads editorial meetings; decides daily broadcast and digital content, assign crews & manages field crews' workflow and live logistics throughout day
• Works with reporters, photographers, producers to determine story selection, elements and backup ideas
• Keeps team informed of developments throughout day
• Listens to scanners, answers phones and emails, researches and vets out pitches to determine what makes a great story
• Coordinates live shots and content sharing with affiliates.
• Represents and enforces station policy in resolution of situations that may arise
• Maintains various station accounts used by the desk for gathering and confirmation information
• Be involved in long term planning of stories and news events
• Posts stories to station digital platforms and social media sites
• Executes performance reviews, hire and grow staff
• Other duties as they arise
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism preferred; minimum 3-years experience in a top 50 market newsroom
• Knowledge of San Diego area a plus
• Extensive knowledge of editorial standards, ethics and media law
• Must have superior organizational skills; be an effective communicator, both oral and written
• Must be nimble with technology, have thorough knowledge of newsroom & field workflow
• Must demonstrate excellent leadership and motivational skills
• Must be able to manage a large staff under extreme pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Must be able to direct the efforts of on-air reporters
• Must be able to operate as a team member as well as a team leader
• Must be able to take suggestions, participate in decision-making, and be flexible in recognizing various points of view
• Must be capable of interacting productively with other employees of the station.