KSWBSan Diego, CA
Full Time Job
Assignment Editor will coordinate Daily News Coverage while maintaining assignment desk functions
The assignment desk is the center of it all, breaking stories, assigning crews and coordinating with producers. We're looking for someone who gets a rush from juggling it all. FOX5 is not your boring TV station. We are an aggressive and fast-paced newsroom determined to tell interesting stories and break news. If you've never heard of an assignment editor, don't apply. If multi-tasking isn't your strong suit then this job is not for you. If you're up for the challenge of telling a great story and delivering breaking news then apply online.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Superior written and oral communication skills
• Responsible for listening to scanners
• Dispatches photographers, reporters and other personnel to cover stories
• Tracks stories from all sources including government agencies, wire services and community groups
• Assists in development, planning and follow-up of all news stories
• Answers phones and email to determine what makes a great story
• Edits video clips as assigned -Coordinates live shots and content sharing with Nexstar affiliates, FOX, and other partners
• Posts stories to station website and social media sites -Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in journalism or communications background
• preferred 2 years experience in a top 50 market newsroom Knowledge of the San Diego area a plus
Job Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Must have superior organizational skills
• Must be able to work under pressure.
• Must be able to make decisions and take a leadership role.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Must have excellent phone skills, be able to take information from a viewer and determine if there is a story.
• Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with people at the station and away from the station
• Must be able to represent the station in the community and at station events.
• Must be able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks.
• Must be flexible to work any shift.