TV Race&Social Justice / Community Engagement Intern-Fall
KGO-TVSan Francisco, CA
Part Time Unpaid Internship
KGO-TV(ABC7) Race&Social Justice/Community Engagement Intern-Fall 2020
ABC7 (KGO-TV) is the most watched local broadcaster, and serves the largest digital audience, in the San Francisco Bay Area. A driving force for our team is our commitment to coverage and community engagement around race and social justice.
ABC7's goal is to bring you greater perspective on the challenges facing our neighborhoods right now. We promise to dig deeper, find solutions, empower our audience to help influence positive change. Our interns play an important role in our mission to Build a Better Bay Area.
The Race & Social Justice, Community Engagement intern is part of Disney's Professional Internship program. The intern will learn aspects of broadcast television and digital production skills, with a focus on ABC7's Allies in Action initiative – working to advance community engagement around social justice, solutions and advocacy-based storytelling and audience development.
You'll collaborate remotely with teams on various projects throughout the internship, including News and Programming, while promoting diversity and inclusion within our content and workplace. You'll also communicate directly with our audience members, including community leaders, organizers and allies.
• During the first 30 days: Learn and connect. Understand the company's mission and learn the marketing and production workflow, contribute to content creation, bring fresh perspective to pitch and planning meetings
• By month two: Assist on live programming events, write copy for digital platforms, actively engage audience
• By end of internship: Produce content with supervision, key role in helping launch youth advisory board that supports ABC7's commitment to engaging local audience on issues that impact
Talents You Bring to the Team
• Strong connection/familiarity with the Bay Area
• Bring your enthusiasm, creativity and professionalism every day.
• Be able to work remotely, collaboratively and independently.
• Be passionate and knowledgeable about diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice issues/principles.
• Show awareness and sensitivity to the needs/concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientation.
• Be excellent at fact-checking, vetting and researching- specifically for live, premium programming.
• Be an engaging social media marketer.
• Connected to youth-focused local advocacy groups
Our Commitment to Diversity & Building a Better Bay Area
We are dedicated to representing the diverse communities we serve, both in front of the camera and behind the scenes. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based on talents, skills and knowledge.
• All students must possess unrestricted work authorization
• All students must be at least 18 years old
• At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 18 months OR currently participating in a Disney Professional Internship
• This internship is a remote internship. The internship requires a working, reliable internet connection as well as a quiet, dedicated work space.
• All candidates must be available from September to December
• All candidates must be willing to work 20 hours/week
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with KGO Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
KGO Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.