KCETLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
• • Position Title: Senior Paralegal
Department: General Counsel and Business Affairs
Classification: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Director, Legal and Business Affairs
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan and Professional Development Opportunities
Work With Purpose!
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is looking for someone who is experienced, personable, and meticulous to join our organization. Please submit your cover letter and resume today!
About Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and LINK TV) tell stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Our content channels – KCET and PBS SoCal – are available for free on internet – connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. LINK TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor- supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
Under direction of the Director, Legal and Business Affairs, the Senior Paralegal will assist in preparation of legal documents and coordinate responses to legal-related inquiries and other legal projects for KCET.
• Draft and negotiate (as necessary) entertainment agreements and documents, including writer, composer, independent contractor, producer, clip license, releases and other television production related agreements
• Develop and revise contract forms
• Analyze union agreements
• Conduct legal research, as requested by Department
• Approve broadcast credits
• Register copyrights
• Organize, summarize and analyze legal documents and contracts
• Research and review distribution rights for licensing and distribution of clips and television programs in all media including television, home video, audio-visual and on-line rights
• Clear film, television and music rights for use in television productions
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Must have familiarity working with entertainment union and guild matters, clearance issues, some copyright and trademark law and intellectual property knowledge as it pertains to the entertainment industry
• Excellent drafting and negotiating skills
• Proven verbal and written communication skills
• Proven research skills
• Knowledge of public broadcasting rules and regulations a plus
• Television and music industry experience a plus
and Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
• Certificate from ABA-accredited paralegal program (preferred)
• 5-7 years of paralegal experience in the entertainment industry.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.