Senior Director, Post-Production
KCETLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
• • Position Title: Senior Director, Post-Production
Department: Content Development & Production
Classification: Regular, Full -Time, Exempt
Supervisor: Chief Creative Officer
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan and Professional Development Opportunities
Work with Purpose!
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is looking for a talented Director, Post Production to join our organization. If you are an experienced Post-Production Director, who understands and utilizes a variety of technologies, then submit your cover letter and resume today!
About Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and LINK TV) tell stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Our content channels – KCET and PBS SoCal – are available for free on internet – connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. LINK TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor- supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
The Senior Director, Post-Production is an experienced post-production professional capable of designing and managing post-production pipelines and workflows. The candidate must understand a variety of technologies and have experience integrating different workflows and combining system management with user experience to achieve the smoothest and most reliable processes.
This position works with the Production, Production Management, Digital, IT, Engineering and Broadcast Operations Departments to supervise and manage the production-related technological needs of the company, which includes the production of video content in multiple formats and production models including studio based episodic TV, documentary TV programs, ENG news, short-form social media videos, and their distribution to online and digital platforms.
• Technical point of contact for all production finishing, workflow design and product delivery.
• Manages in-house post-production team (editors, colorists, technicians & media managers).
• Negotiates rates, vets and hires post-production employees and vendors.
• Maintains annual budget and develops annual Cap-Ex plan to maintain, improve and expand systems.
• Maintains all post-production system engineering and signal flow.
• Interprets FCC and industry technical standards to measure quality of equipment performance to ensure regulations are met
• Advises on technical capabilities of system/equipment, answers questions and resolves technical problems for both production and post-production scenarios.
• Oversees the checking in/out of production equipment.
• Participates in the planning of Production with IT and Engineering department short- and long-range plans for facility changes, system modifications and installations.
• Establishes and updates departmental procedures as needed.
• Coordinates the ordering of production supplies and equipment; makes recommendation for major equipment purchases for both production and post production.
• Acts as liaison/advocate for PMGSC in relation to vendors/partners providing technical services and spaces for production and post-production.
Degree in Electronics, Broadcasting and Production or related field (preferred)
Minimum of five years of experience in broadcast equipment repair, design and installation;
An equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Expert knowledge of public broadcast rules, regulations and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of maintenance, usage and design of technical broadcasting equipment and video production equipment.
• Expert knowledge of production workflows. Required experience with standard practices for cinema production, documentary production, and ENG production.
• Expert knowledge of post-production workflows: editing, sound mixing, color correction, etc. Required fluency in both AVID and Premiere NLE systems; including in networked environments.
• Expert knowledge of PAM and MAM systems and best practices for the establishing the workflows in each, from capture to archiving.
• Expert knowledge of IT technology and computer systems necessary to support high-end video production.
• Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
• Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.