Senior Director, Board Relations
KCETLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Senior Director, Board Relations will serve as the primary liaison between PMGSC and its Board of Directors. Working closely with the President & CEO, this role will be responsible for creating and
maintaining the board relations program. The ideal candidate must have a deep understanding o f nonprofit board management and a track record of managing sensitive, highly confidential, and proprietary information with discretion and the utmost level of confidentiality.
This position will provide professional and executive-level support to the CEO and serve as the board administrator and primary contact for a 30-member Board. The Senior Director will be responsible for board education and processes, committee management, board member stewardship, cultivation, engagement and experience, as well as collaboration with internal teams to execute a comprehensive communication strategy and process.
The candidate should be an exceptional communicator, both written and verbal -- able to clearly convey organizational priorities to board members and key stakeholders, communicate key governance issues to internal organization staff, as well as discern and articulate stakeholder interests.
• Support the governance processes of PMGSC by overseeing the day-to-day management of meetings and communications with and among the board.
• Provide concise, clear information and strategic counsel to board and senior leadership to identify and address board needs and make sound recommendations.
• Develop a deep understanding of the board’s governance, i.e., Bylaws, Committee Charters, Conflict of Interest Policy, etc., to develop and facilitate efficient and effective board governance.
• Design and implement a system to efficiently manage and improve board operations and processes.
• Collabora te with and support the Nominating and Governance Committee in Board of Directors candidate research, recruitment, orientation, and retention.
Board Member Experience
• Act as the primary contact for PMGSC with each board member regarding interests in content categories, donor referrals, introductions to business and community leaders, fundraising, and board members’ special requests.
• Develop relationships with board members to become the resident expert on their interests and connections.
• Manage and contribute to the Executive Office’s outreach strategies with current and former board members of the organization to maintain and deepen relationships.
• Collaborate with leads in Advancement and Membership to support board member needs and fundraising efforts.
• Enhance the board experience, leading the development of practices, tools, and resources to help shape an inclusive culture on the board.
• Support the board’s formal annual evaluation and facilitate responses to board feedback.
• Increase adoption and mature usage of web-based board portal, Board Effect
• Maintain accurate information on board membership, terms, renewals, and committee assignments, and the pipeline of future candidates.
• Ensure timely administration of meeting notifications, materials, minutes and follow-up items to Board of Directors and Committees.
• Collaborate across the organization to develop board materials (e.g. agendas, pre-reads, presentations, talking points, briefings, technical agendas, etc.)
• Lead development of board communications, including proposals, budgets, reports, updates to board, stakeholders, and PBS SoCal | KCET senior staff.
• Draft communication on behalf of the Board Chair, CEO, Committee Chairs, and staff liaisons including emails, thank you notes, and other correspondence.
• Collaborate with Board Chair, Committee Chairs, CEO, and staff liaisons to develop board meeting content and materials.
• Research and compile a variety of informational materials as needed.
• College degree with emphasis in public administration, business, law, communications or other related fields (Master's degree is preferred).
• 3-5 years of primary responsibility supporting a board of directors for a large (30-40 member) complex non-profit organization preferred, including experience with nonprofit governance best practices.
• Strong executive presence and professionalism including: Professional personal presentation, punctuality, confidentiality, respectful interaction, and demonstrated use of sound judgement
• Experience partnering with and reporting to executive leadership, and partnering with board members
• Demonstrate a high level of initiative and ability to effectively interface, collaborate, and build relationships with stakeholders, senior management, and team members to help drive solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
• Proven knowledge of complex organizational systems and structures (bylaws) and familiarity with CA nonprofit board governance
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience drafting executive-level correspondence and the ability to make complicated topics understandable, relevant and actionable to a non-expert audience.
• Experience working in a cross-functional environment managing multiple stakeholders (experience working with a merged board is preferred).
• Ability to navigate complex board governance processes and issues; evaluate alternatives and develop sound, expert conclusions and recommendations.
• Ability to present proposals and recommendations clearly, logically and persuasively in one-on-one and public meetings.
• Experience with board management software such as Board Effect (or comparable software)
• Experience and comfortability with the presentation of data points, metrics and information (in-person and virtually) using software such as: Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite, and Zoom
Equal Opportunity Employer
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.