Chief Content Officer
KCETLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
• • Position Title: Chief Content Officer
Classification: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: President and CEO
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Burbank, CA
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan and Professional Development Opportunities
In 2018, PBS SoCal and KCETLink merged to form Public Media Group of Southern California and began building a significant public media institution for the Southern California region. Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is led by President and CEO Andrew Russell, and governed by a 32-member board of trustees. In 2020, PMGSC leadership and its board of trustees collaborated to outline four key pillars of public service in which to expand the organization’s role and impact: Arts & Culture, Early Childhood Education, News & Journalism and Environment. The organization’s public service is also executed with a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, reflected in its people, culture and content.
The Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) tells stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and through the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Their Southern California main content services PBS SoCal and KCET are available for free over 7 broadcast channels and on internet-connected screens, such as the PBS Video App and OTT streaming services. Their LINK TV channel is available nationally on DirecTV and Dish Network. A donor-supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through a variety of services including those that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
A donor-supported community institution, PMGSC hosts hundreds of in-person cultural events, screenings and community conversations to spark the sharing of diverse ideas and perspectives, and delivers real social impact through an Early Learning service that prepares our most vulnerable children for school, as well as other social impact service initiatives.
The Chief Content Officer (CCO) joins PMGSC at an exciting time, as the organization is focused on an evolving and growing content strategy around: Arts & Culture, Early Childhood Education, News & Public Affairs, and the Environment and Climate. The CCO promotes a culture that reflects PMGSC’s values, encourages outstanding performance and rewards productivity and innovation.
Reporting to the President and CEO of Public Media Group Southern California, the Chief Content Officer will lead a dynamic, creative, and nationally recognized team of content producers across multiple platforms. The CCO will serve as the strategic leader and visionary in the development, production, and multi-platform services for programs with regional, national, and international distribution, including: Artbound , Lost LA , Earth Focus , and Family Math . The CCO will also seek to expand PMGSC’s footprint and opportunities beyond California, including national co-productions, and other streaming and distribution platforms.
Externally, the CCO represents PMGSC’s interests serving as the content and programming face for the service with frequent interaction with a broad range of constituents such as audiences, funders, PBS, and business and community leaders.
The successful candidate will be a creative/production executive who has high-level strategy and content development experience and a perspective on how to amplify the voices and experiences and stories of the extraordinary communities within and beyond Southern California. The successful candidate will have a deep commitment to community, excellent communication skills, and demonstrated skills in building partnerships across disciplines and organizations. The ability to assemble, motivate, and lead a staff in the conception and development of programs across many platforms is imperative as is the desire to play an active and visible role in the Southern California communities.
of the Ideal Candidate:
• A successful track-record of leading, building, mobilizing and managing creative, high-performing, diverse and inclusive teams.
• Senior level experience leading complex strategic and business initiatives in a multiplatform environment, including prior direct oversight of content development and production of television, digital, and other media.
• Significant experience with strategic programming, content, and business disciplines to deliver successful offerings in the rapidly changing and highly competitive media universe.
• A passion for the power of telling stories about arts/culture, education and public affairs that enrich the quality of life for both residents of and visitors to the greater Los Angeles / Southern California region.
• Keen understanding of PMGSC’s target audience (demographic and psychographic), including a deep appreciation of what drives/motivates this audience, how they utilize a wide range of traditional and digital media, and how their consumption patterns are changing.
• Strong knowledge about the digital media landscape, including a deep understanding of trends, opportunities and category direction, as well as direct cross-platform expertise.
• Understanding and experience in children’s education programming is desirable.
• Strong leadership experience and skills that include the ability to attract, hire, train, motivate, coach and retain talent. A demonstrated ability to lead others and achieve results in a team-oriented environment, while fostering belonging in a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture.
• Exceptional degree of emotional intelligence, displaying a collaborative, transparent, and communicative work style that results in excellence of execution and a supportive/ effective work environment.
• Full resonance with the values of PMGSC.
• Outstanding oral and written communications skills and the ability to make effective presentations, including with Board and senior level external constituents.
• An excitement about and a commitment to the mission of PMGSC, and a strong desire to serve its various constituencies, including the community.
• Exceptional business, operational, and administrative skills.
• Impeccable personal integrity and business ethics.
• Demonstrated experience as a transparent, empathetic, and proactive communicator with staff, peers, and subordinates. Adept at communicating effectively across all levels of leadership while inspiring confidence.
• An understanding of the values, sound and sensibility of PBS and enthusiasm for the station, the region, and the value of localism. Knowledge of public media is desirable.
• An understanding of digital behavior and current/emerging digital platforms; experience building audiences, leading the integration of content, including local, national, and international content across platforms.
• A strong track record of applying insights from analytics and benchmarks to content decisions on air and online.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability