VP, Legal & Business Affairs
ITV Global EntertainmentLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Main Purpose of the Role:
• To provide legal & business affairs support for the ITVGE Americas cluster sales team.
• To attend regular meetings with the SVP of Sales for the Americas cluster and with the VPs responsible for sales across North America, Latin America and the Caribbean.
• To provide education, training and monitoring compliance of the ITVGE Sales Handbook to members of the Americas cluster.
• As required and in liaison with the Head of Legal and SVP of Sales, America, to assist with other legal & business affairs activities within the department as required.
• Liaise with the Senior Legal and Business Affairs Manager for the EMEA cluster and the VP Legal and Business Affairs for AsiaPac cluster on best practice and global initiatives.
• Build close relationships with ITV Studios US and develop better understanding of commercial issues in the local market.
• Manage provision of external legal advice from external counsel where required.
• Reviewing, drafting, negotiating and concluding licence agreements for the sale of finished programmes and/or formats and ancillary rights exploitation.
• Preparing and executing amendments to existing concluded licence agreements.
• Dealing with ancillary matters pursuant to licence agreements.
• Undertaking related enquiries and research, including rights issues, programme information, materials availability in relation to the above.
• Being responsible for the legal aspects of debt recovery, cease and desist, dubbing and/or accessing of foreign language versions.
• Assisting with and undertaking any other activities within the legal & business affairs department as reasonably required.
• Attending departmental and inter-departmental meetings by telephone to discuss departmental and company objectives, commercial issues and sales tracking, administrative issues and legal issues relating to the company.
• Liaising with the Contracts and Rights teams to confirm availability and rights positions, ensuring consistency with PARIS and that all contracts are properly entered on the system.
• Regular telephone calls with the Head of Legal to discuss workload, on going negotiations and issues arising therefrom (where relevant) and deals concluded, including (where undertaken) proposed variations to ITVGE standard terms as well as any contentious matters arising and their progress to resolution.
• Identify wider legal/legislative/regulatory issues that may affect ITVGE's operations or strategy in the territory, recommending courses of action and implemented agreed response.
• Supervise and support Business Affairs Co-ordinator.
• May at times be required to work beyond regular business hours where necessary.
• Managing work across time zones.
• Dual reporting to local management and remotely to global management, and operating independently within the Sales team environment on a day-to-day basis.
Qualifications/Professional Certificates required:
• Qualified lawyer in California with preferably 4 yrs PQE and/or multiple years' experience working in a media distribution business
Abilities and Characteristics required:
• Confidence in drafting, negotiating and concluding the agreements anticipated above with regular liaison with the London office but otherwise working independently within pre-agreed frameworks.
• Demonstrate enthusiasm, commitment, the ability to grasp new areas quickly and rise to a challenge.
• Good knowledge of production agreements and other content acquisition/distribution agreements.
• Familiarity with rights clearance requirements and procedures for worldwide distribution.
• Self starter and confident about decision making within an agreed framework.
• Ability to collaborate and engage with others to drive the business forward.
• An effective communicator, both written and verbal.
• Ability to quickly establish excellent and trusted working relationships with both internal and external commercial and legal colleagues.
• Ability to take and encourage a proportionate and solutions focussed approach.
• Ability to multi task and prioritise a varied workload to meet deadlines.
• Ability to resolve problems under pressure and make accurate assessments of critical issues.
• Proactive and willing to go the extra mile.
• Strong technical commercial law experience.
• Understanding of breakdown of rights in television or films.
• Proven track record of concluding deals successfully and quickly.
Work Experience Required:
• A background in either television or film licensing, commercial contracts or intellectual property.
• Previous In House and consultancy experience would be an advantage.
Annual base salary range for this role is $140k - $150k.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online