Senior Systems Engineer
Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
This was removed by the employer on 10/23/2019 9:50:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Senior Systems Engineer jobs in Sydney-NS
Search all Senior Systems Engineer postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Senior Systems Engineer?
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of systems that contribute to the smooth running of all technology in Sydney, working as a member of the global ILM Production Systems Operations team.
The role is responsible for developing and maintaining the core services of ILM and it’s divisions globally, ensuring the smooth and efficient deployment and execution of core services for use by other IT, IS, & engineering teams and throughout the user base. They will be active in both development projects and service support. Key to the role is implementing and maintaining hardware, operating system images for Windows and Linux, virtual infrastructure standards, tools and other systems that enable core IT services across the company’s locations globally.
As well as drawing on traditional IT techniques, the team takes advantage of modern DevOps approaches to ensure the availability of IT services that provide the core foundation essential for the smooth operation of our multi-site, award-winning visual effects company.
• Act as a technical lead on key technology projects, ensuring implementations follow best practices and are in line with project objectives.
• Provide internal level 3 support on technologies within IT Operations.
• Drive operational efficiencies of the IT infrastructure to the highest levels, through implementing effective service monitoring, maintenance programs and foundational system design with a global perspective.
• Work closely with other technical groups to ensure that IT standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of ILM.
• Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
• Mentor other Systems Engineers and Administrators to advance their technical knowledge of systems management, automation and DevOps strategies.
• Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
• Must be available via mobile pone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
• Participates in the activities of the globally distributed IT team, including: development and support activities, regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit.
• Collaborate closely with IT, PE, IS and R&D teams globally.
• Ensures the high availability of configuration management and service deployment systems.
• Maintains a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience.
• 8-10 years of experience as a professional IT engineer / administrator, preferably in the visual effects or computer animation industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
• A thorough knowledge of industry-specific technologies including high-performance NAS/SAN systems (eg. Isilon, NetApp, 3Par etc.) and distributed rendering/computing technologies.
• Deep understanding of IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
• A working knowledge of networking and security concepts and technologies.
• Extensive Linux system administration experience using mainstream Linux OS.
• Thorough understanding of system performance issues and tuning.
• Proven experience designing, building, automating and running large-scale technical infrastructures in a multi-site, multi-platform environment.
• Experience with configuration management systems eg. Ansible, Salt, CFEngine, etc.
• Experience in the following technology products: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SCCM, VMWare, Veeam Backup, Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform.
• Understanding of DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, and OAUTH2/SAML2.0 systems.
• A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests.
• An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
• A great team player with a proven ability to resolve problems professionally, systematically and with a collaborative approach..
• Time management skills are key - must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear.
• Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks.
• An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
• Detailed oriented, highly organized self-starter, able to multi-task without supervision.
• Strong customer service attitude and skills.
• Knowledge of ITIL framework concepts.
• Familiarity with Blade workstations, Teradici portals etc.
• Understanding of different project management methodologies.
• Experience with containerization systems such as Docker.
• Familiarity with SQL databases, such as Oracle SQL, MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
• OS deployment techniques such as PXE and kickstart.
• Experienced with monitoring technologies such as PRTG, InMon, Zabbix, etc.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is par