Production Engineer - Back End
Industrial Light & MagicLondon, UK
Full Time Job
We are looking for back-end engineers for our Production Tools Team in Core Pipeline, to help advance Production Tracking, Editorial, 2D media, Dailies and Review pipelines for motion picture visual effects production.
Core Pipeline is a globally distributed team that develops tools and workflows which act as the foundational infrastructure for ILM's other departments. We work closely with CG Production to create innovative tooling for media handling tools, core services, asset management and more. The team works with all levels of artists and supervision to create efficient, accessible and user friendly software.
Who We Are:
Industrial Light & Magic, founded in 1975 by George Lucas, has created some of the most iconic moments in motion picture history. From Star Wars to Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, The Avengers, theme park rides and interactive experiences, ILM continues to expand the possibilities of what visual entertainment can be.
ILM's Core Pipeline and R&D groups develop the ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. ILM's innovations have won 29 Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. Today, we are 70+ visually-minded software engineers, working side-by-side with over a thousand digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film production environment, across studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney.
What You'll Do:
• Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers and media experts in researching, developing, and supporting ILM's editorial, production tracking, media transformation, dailies and review tools that scale to high-volume visual effects and animation production.
• Work directly with highly specialized and talented artists in active film and tv production in ILM's studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney. Work with Editors, show supervisors, and engineering teams to balance long-term development projects with day-to-day production support.
• Analyze and optimize the media pipelines in active production. Advise creative leadership on media pipeline approach and strategy.
• Liaise with other Core Pipeline teams to build off of services they provide, partner with other Walt Disney Studios like Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios as well as other industry groups to create the best work possible at ILM.
What We're Looking For:
• You have experience in computer science or related fields.
• You probably have extensive experience in professional software development and/or VFX production.
• You have an intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven environment.
• Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy and play nice.
• Communication: An ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
• Empathy: an ability to listen intently and recognize artists' needs.
• Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver.
• You have thorough knowledge of software development, leading software projects, supporting active productions, troubleshooting pipeline issues and championing best practices.
• You have a proven history of being a domain expert and facilitating change.
• You have experience in system design; leveraging scalable architectures
• You ideally have experience with containerisation, continuous integration, and automated deployment
• You should have experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic codebase.
• You are fluent in Python, with experience in Linux; ability with C++ a plus.
• • •