Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking modelers to join our team of artists and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Modelers are responsible for building a variety of creature and/or hard surface models to be used by other disciplines along the pipeline under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
• Build complex organic and hard surfaced models, including creatures, vehicles, mechanical suits, props and sets, with minimal supervision and art direction
• The modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of animation and anatomy
• Works with the team (Technical Directors, Supervisors and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object.
• Works with production management to ensure they hit deadlines and deliveries.
• Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
• Demonstrated ability to model a variety of complex 3D objects
• Sound familiarity with shape deformation tools
• Communicates well with other production artists and production management
• Accurately bid and schedule model builds
• Ability to lead and mentor junior modelers
• Ability to adapt to and develop new techniques
• Sets a high standard for all modelers
• Excellent time management skills
• Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to build complex models.
• Demonstrates good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism about how to best approach what needs to be done. Immediately implements the requested changes and is conscientious about raising flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays. Also, keeps Supervisors and Production in the loop and are up-to-date at all times on the status of one’s assignment at all times.
• Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/model review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next.
• Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing what could look could be improved and what is good enough.
• Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks extremely well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on assignment completion.
• Proficient at learning proprietary software
Required Technical Skills
• Expert in Maya and Zbrush
• Modo, Mudbox, Mari, Photoshop also a plus
• At least 5 years experience
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.