Lead Compositor, Australia
Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lead Compositor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately responsible for the aesthetic integrity and technical quality of the final image delivered to the client.
• Work with the Compositing Supervisor and Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots.
• Point person for either a sequence of shots, or defining a “look” being developed,
• Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and color grading on difficult shots.
• Maintain the overall look, color balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work.
• Create generic looks for other artists to apply.
• Work collaboratively with artists from other disciplines.
• Independently provide solutions to technical and aesthetic problems, with minimal direction, and can handle the most difficult tasks under intense time pressure.
• Minimum of 5 yrs of compositing experience in a feature film or commercial production environment.
• Previous experience in look development and sequence supervision ideal.
/ Technical Competencies
• Strong knowledge of Nuke.
• Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and color.
• Strong communication skills.
• Can quickly learn new software and techniques.
• Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlines, and with minimal supervision.
• Strong sense of composition, color and design.
• Familiarity with using Linux systems
• Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins a plus.
• Python and/or C experience a plus.
• Ideal candidate has strong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.