Ilmxlab VFX Artist
Industrial Light & MagicSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
*Remote Work Option Available for the rest of 2020, with potential to relocate Bay Area where this role will eventually be based*
We’re on a mission: building the future. We are lucky to work in an amazing fusion of development where exceptional, interactive & immersive stories combine with groundbreaking visuals and sound. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds. Building and releasing these experiences, we endeavor to raise the bar as high as we possibly can. The result is powerful, story-based immersive entertainment.
It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a highly creative & highly technical environment that thrives on collaboration. If that sounds interesting, jump in! Our team is growing. We're looking for talented and driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of premium immersive stories. Virtual reality, augmented reality, real-time cinema, theme park entertainment and narrative based experiences - our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling as it’s never been done before!
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
• Collaborate with the dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual representation of characters while ensuring optimal performance.
• Develop VFX: fluids, fire, smoke, explosions, destruction - utilizing rigid/soft body dynamics, particles, and shaders
• Design and implementation of dynamic & compelling visual effects based on direction from the Art Director and Producer.
• Ensure that VFX design and implementation meets run-time and performance budgeting requirements.
• Preview work in engine & headset. Iterate, optimize and polish to quality bar and visual direction set by the creative leads.
• Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary; participate in project stand-ups, meetings, and reviews.
• Actively participate in concept testing of new ideas and building of rapid prototypes.
• 4 years experience as VFX artist in AAA console or PC dev, strong preference for history of less stylized, more visually realistic titles
• Experience working with Unreal 3 or 4, Photoshop and Maya to create real-time VFX
• Strong understanding of lighting, particle systems, texture/UV animation, sprite animation, dynamics and simulations, material setup, general workflow & tools
• Able to paint VFX textures from scratch and match an established style
• Experience creating and using real-time shaders
• Experience with modeling & physics for realistic hair and cloth
• Strong artistic & technical problem-solving skills, able to adapt, willing to learn new processes and technical skills.
• Basic understanding of game scripting.
• Unity, Crytek, Frostbite or other game engine development experience.
• Professional experience with dynamics and simulations packages: Houdini, Real Flow, FumeFX, etc.
• Experience or interest in the creation of VR & AR experiences
• Passion for playing and making games
• VFX production / pipeline experience
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.