Ilmxlab Technical Animator
Industrial Light & MagicSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
We are looking for a Technical Animator who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great storytelling that define ILM & ILMxLAB.
ILMxLAB Technical Animators help to bring characters to life by identifying, creating, and maintaining animation systems. These systems will range from gameplay movement, to menu functionality, to facial animation setup. You will work with the Lead Animator to identify needs, create systems & tools, and work with other animators and engineers to implement them. The ability to work well alone as well as with others is crucial to this role.
What You'll Do
• Look for opportunities to improve our animation pipeline and provide solutions for technical animation problems
• Author and maintain various animation tools
• Establish workflow processes to setup our world-class Animators for success
• Create and provide support for animation rigs in Maya and Unreal Engine
• Partner with artists to help create characters, weapons and props that meet technical and animation requirements
• Help problem-solve in-game animation implementation issues.
• Develop new techniques and processes to solve animation production issues
• Using various scripting languages (e.g. Python), you will create and maintain animation related tools
• Research latest applicable technologies and 3rd party software packages
• Be involved with the Motion Capture pipeline and contribute to its efficiency
What We're Looking For
• 4+ years of experience in the game industry with 2+ years as a Technical Animator
• Great eye for animation is a must
• Excellent technical knowledge of how games work
• In engine animation layering knowledge
• Familiar with animation systems, such as: Unreal, Unity, Morpheme, Havok, etc.
• Proficiency with Maya layers, trax editor, and mocap tools
• Strong Scripting experience (e.g. Python, etc.)
• Deep knowledge of both figure and facial anatomy
• Experience with Motion Capture workflows and pipelines.
• Highly motivated and proactive with a focus on identifying solutions to hard problems
• Bonus points for experience with character rigging, setting up physics assets, and/or the development of tools
The hiring range for this position in San Francisco is $101,300 to $126,600 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
• • •