Ilmxlab Supervisor, Gameplay Engineering
Industrial Light & MagicSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
From a galaxy far, far away to other globally-beloved universes, ILMxLAB’s body of work spans multiple award-winning experiences in virtual reality, mixed reality, and more. The team is looking for candidates who are interested in creating the next generation of storytelling for the premium immersive entertainment space powered by real-time graphics.
The ILMxLAB team is on a mission to bring the future of entertainment into the here and now. This spectacular fusion of high end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled real-time worlds that exponentially raise the bar for consumer experiences. Making a movie or a game is challenging in its own right, but we hope to continue to push beyond any of those confines. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at this crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative, and highly technical work environment. We are looking for talented and driven creative technologists, artists and designers to join us. Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
The role of the Supervisor, Gameplay Engineering will ensure we have a world-class team focused on the gameplay mechanics of ILMxLAB’s projects. You will excel at developing high-performing innovative engineers in a positive energy environment, by leading, developing and overseeing the work of the Gameplay Engineers. This role will implement strategy, establish and review projects, negotiate priorities with clients and communicate department direction and progress.
Mentorship, Collaboration, and Design are Key Words for the Gameplay Engineer Supervisor. On any given day, you might:
• Build and lead rapid prototyping of Mixed Reality gameplay and experiences
• Work closely with Principal Engineer to manage development, testing and implementation, determines project priorities and resolves design and scheduling conflicts
• Directly manage the gameplay engineering team and provide support, mentorship, constructive feedback, and career development advice
• Maintain positive productive relationships with stakeholders inside and outside the group
• Collaborate with other Managers/Supervisors to maintain coherent direction and resolve conflicts across the department
• Make sure each engineer understands expectations and where their work fits in. Set goals and expectations, provide clear direction and guidance to each engineer
• Evangelize and set an example of our culture and values. Works to ensure sound development practices and reusable solutions to improve systems and their components
• Present opportunities for engineers to improve their skills and increase knowledge
• Conduct team annual performance reviews, ensure ongoing training and development
• Maintain a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements
• Speak on behalf of the discipline in technology development discussions to ensure that new development aligns with the discipline’s strategy and workflow.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering preferred
• Minimum 8 years software development experience, plus 3 years prior management experience
• Deep understanding of each discipline in the games/interactive development process, and the process as a whole from ideation through final delivery
• Demonstrated ability to multitask while maintaining a high-level of organization and detail orientation in a fluid production environment with rapidly evolving resource needs.
• Advanced diplomacy skills needed to mediate competing priorities across multiple stakeholders and managing expectations across various dynamic personalities
• Strong leadership skills, including interpersonal/building relationships, gaining trust, managing expectations, and resolving and preempting conflicts
• Technical skills: Working knowledge of JIRA and Preforce. Strong knowledge of C
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.