Ilmxlab Senior Environment Artist
Industrial Light & MagicSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
*Remote Work Option Available for the rest of 2020, with potential to relocate Bay Area where this role will eventually be based*
From a galaxy far, far away to other globally-beloved universes, ILMxLAB’s body of work spans multiple award-winning experiences in virtual reality, mixed reality, and more. The team is looking for candidates who are interested in creating the next generation of storytelling for the premium immersive entertainment space powered by real-time graphics.
The ILMxLAB team is on a mission to bring the future of entertainment into the here and now. This spectacular fusion of high end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled real-time worlds that exponentially raise the bar for consumer experiences. Making a movie or a game is challenging in its own right, but we hope to continue to push beyond any of those confines. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at this crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative, and highly technical work environment.. We are looking for talented and driven creative technologists, artists and designers to join us.
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
• Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity and artistic innovation
• Work closely with the design leads to conceptualize, model, dress and light real-time worlds based on related concept art and photographic reference for franchise / IP
• Work with engineering leads & technical artists to establish and maintain performance and memory budget streaming requirements and other run-time requirements
• Establish a thorough understanding of the existing tools and pipelines; experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
• Define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and art pipeline development
• Able to generate art task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary
• Actively participate in the QA process to identify and fix bugs
• Supervision of junior and mid-level artists, as required
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Two or more shipped titles and 5-7 years of professional experience in game development designing, modeling, and texturing 3D assets using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D/2D programs).
• Extensive experience working with Unreal 3 or 4, including terrain / landscape editing, level streaming set-up and implementation
• Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
• Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
• Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout.
• Advanced abilities in Z-Brush or Mud Box
• Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting.
• Ability to switch between a wide range of styles.
• Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, direction and changes.
• Passion for game development, and working in VR or AR
• Knowledge of 2.5D projections and associated pipelines
• Experience with Substance Designer / Painter, Mari, WorldMachine, Quixel
• Experience working with photogrammetry
• Experience with Unity, FrostEd, Hammer, Radiant or other level design / editor tools
• Able to create stylized concept art and illustration
• An appreciation for source control
• Experience working with outsourcing
• Previous experience as a lead on a project
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The pioneering spirit that inspired storytellers and technical artists to improvise, innovate and imagine a galaxy far, far away is built into the DNA of ILMxLAB – the new laboratory for immersive entertainment. The combined talents of Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are reinventing the way stories are told and experienced, connecting artists with their audiences like never before.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ILMxLAB.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.