Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Generalist Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Generalist Supervisor’s primary responsibility is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the team, ensuring that all the effects are created according to the designs and visual style of the show. This will require partnering with the Creature, Environment, and Lighting Supervisors as well as the Producer.
Generalists have the ability to create photo-real environments and landscapes, exhibiting a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. Works with live-action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into films.
• Supervises the Generalist team to deliver the expected and desired effects for the show
• Consult with the CG Supervisor as to the technical feasibility of elements in the designs and suggest production-friendly solutions that will maintain the vision of the show
• Responsible for reviewing the work of each artist on a regular basis and approving shots and models for submission to the director
• Actively participates in the recruiting and staffing of the Generalist teams, assessing the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process and works with production management on hiring decisions
• Partners with production management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring resolving performance management issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew
• Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team
• Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction.
• Participates in team reviews of work under development.
• Able to create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and works confidently enough to be able to decide where to allocate detail based on the shot and can interpret feedback to respond to review notes with little supervisor direction.
• Texture skills would match this competence level, i.e. able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development.
• Good understanding of the physics of light, how this interacts with the camera and how to create basic lighting setups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently.
• Responds to feedback to dial and in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
• Has a good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
• Works with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists and handles reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for comp. Can run script and modify it for specific needs.
• Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
• Uses artistic and technical skills to work on all aspects of CG images or shots
• Creates high-quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs
• Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
• Expected to mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
• Work to meet defined milestones within a timeline
• Source suitable reference materials for required assets
• Attend dailies and participate in creative problem solving
• 6 years relevant professional experience in a leadership role on a VFX film or CG animated project
• BA in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working across different studios/locations and time zones
/ Technical Competencies
• Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing OR proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
• Demo reel required
• High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
• Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques and precise timing requirements to ensure accuracy of bids
• Strong English communication skills
• Fluent in Photoshop
• Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
• Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
• Comparable software experience considered
• Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
• Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, and motion
• Understanding 2D compositing software
• Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in mor