Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Working under the direction of the Producer and the VFX Supervisor, the CG Supervisor ensures all delivered shots maintain the group’s rigorous technical standards and support the creative vision of the Director by directing the artists’ work, technical skills, organization and communication.
• Crewed to a show (or multiple smaller shows when needed) and owns all decisions related to that show's technical development and implementation requirements including workflow, tool and pipeline decisions.
• Serves as final decision-maker on all technical issues that span multiple artist disciplines (for example, makes the call on the most appropriate workflow between different disciplines when consensus cannot be reached).
• Owns show approach plan and partners with key supervisors across all ILM global locations for specifics on show planning, delivery, etc.
• Responsible for ensuring technical implementation will work across all ILM locations, taking into account issues like licenses, machine specs, file sharing and other issues that may differ between locations.
• Responsible for show-specific forecasting of license, machine, render and storage needs throughout show schedule.
• Partners with appropriate studio reps across ILM global locations to provide show projections for larger, studio-wide assessments and reports.
• Directly oversees new, facility approved, show-specific workflow and technology innovations. May perform or delegate the 'product owner' role for new technology on the show, however remains ultimately responsible for success of those efforts.
• Ensures show approach decisions are consistent with the facility canonical pipeline goals and that new technology developed on the show meets the show's needs. Ensures those efforts are visible to R&D, P.E., IT and the CG Technology Supervisors.
• Partners with CG Technology Supervisors and R&D, PE and IT supervisors on canonical issues and priorities related to show needs.
• Communicates proactively and consistently across show and studio about show technical priorities, requirements and concerns, in particular to show producer and VFX supervisor, CG technology supervisor leadership team and within weekly CG Supervisor meeting.
• Flags and communicates the need for any show decisions which create divergence in canonical asset management tools and workflow (i.e. any changes to core, facility naming conventions, shotfile structure, choice of software, etc...)
• Collaborates with outsource vendors and other ILM production partners on all shot and data sharing issues including file formats and standardization, colour space issues, etc. related to show
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics (or equiv experience) with at least 5 years hands-on production experience.
• Significant post production experience including experience working as a CG Supervisor
/ Technical Competencies
• Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
• Strong awareness of deadlines.
• Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrates excellent listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away.
• Demonstrates the ability to engage in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
• Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing exactly what could look better in one’s shot and an excellent knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
• Demonstrates superb problem solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
• Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
• Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior level artists and lead others on huge shots or small sequences.
• Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar of for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
• Conversant in many of the ILM methodologies.
• Look dev and/or shader writing a plus, layout and matchmove a plus.
• Technical Skills: Familiar with Maya, Katana, Zeno and Nuke.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a CG Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.