Animation Supervisor Ilm
Industrial Light & MagicLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Working with the Director of Animation in the studio and alongside the VFX Supervisor during projects. The Animation Supervisor is responsible for designing and creating the motion of all computer generated characters. They are responsible for ensuring that all delivered shots support the vision of the Director and VFX Supervisor whilst maintaining the group's rigorous standards.
The Animation Supervisor will also assist the Director of Animation with recruiting and managing a strong team of animators for London Studio and is a key stakeholder in the ILM, London management team.
What you'll do
• Receive client briefs and work with the VFX supervisor to explore and determine the creative and aesthetic approach to the animation and the character performance direction.
• Work with Production to accurately bid and schedule work for the show.
• Work with the CG Supervisor as to the technical setup of characters to be animated.
• Assist in the recruitment and placement of animators to ensure the best possible fit of skills and experience for the project.
• Direct the animation crew and guide the overall animation production to deliver the expected and desired performance.
• Conduct reviews as final quality control on all animated elements prior to VFX Supervisor and Client review.
• During dailies, clearly and briefly outline accomplishments and areas of issue to VFX Supervisors.
• Receive and comprehend direction and criticism of VFX Supervisors.
• Effectively communicate notes and direction back to artists.
• Work closely with recruitment and other animation supervisors to build a strong animation team for London Studio and crew all projects effectively.
• Work with the Director of Animation to ensure the professional development of all animators. Conducting performance reviews, identifying training and mentoring needs.
• Where necessary work closely with HR to deal with issues relating to poor performance or matters of discipline.
• Driven to build strong working relationships and work collaboratively with senior creative and production staff at London studio.
• Build strong working relationships with colleagues in all ILM locations.
• Keep abreast of new technologies and techniques and ensure such information is disseminated to the animation team and fellow Supervisors.
What we're looking for
• Expert knowledge of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design while demonstrating exceptional skills as an animator demonstrated by portfolio, showreel and references.
• Significant proven experience in film VFX at a supervisory level and proven ability to deliver complex shots to the highest level of quality.
• Good technical understanding of those areas of CG relating to character build and movement – modelling, rigging, creature TD and FX.
• A keen eye for detail.
• Strong awareness of deadlines.
• An ability to give and receive criticism in a constructive manner.
• Demonstrably strong presentation and communication skills.
• An ability to lead and mentor more junior artists.
• An ability to engage in the creative process without ego. Accepting all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
• • •