TV News Editor
IndiewireNew York, NY
Full Time Job
IndieWire: TV News Editor
IndieWire is hiring a New York or California-based TV News Editor to join our growing News team. Along with a passion for television, this role demands sharp writing and editing skills, high-volume production of breaking news under tight deadlines, and strong news judgment. They must be able to publish clean copy, edit others, and write terrific headlines. A self-directed ability to track the TV news cycle is essential.
This role captures all relevant breaking TV news, whether it’s aggregation, pre-writing trailer posts, writing up a press release, creating event galleries, or posting Emmy nominations as they’re announced. While this role works with other members of the News team day to day, reporting to the Deputy Managing Editor, they will collaborate closely with the TV vertical to ensure all stakeholders are aware of the latest news and how it informs reporting priorities. The person who will thrive in this role brings a strong news sense, can pitch unique ways to advance a story, and understands that being on the news beat is all about speed, precision, and the pivot.
The ideal candidate is a strong collaborator who also has the skills to steer solo: With hours from 10:30am-7:30pm PT, Monday-Friday, this role is the last shift for our bicoastal newsroom. While every day is different, the first half is often devoted to writing, editing, publishing, and scheduling posts; after 3pm, this role is also responsible for homepage curation, social publishing, edits, and late-breaking stories from across the team. Given the demands of breaking news, there’s an occasional need to work late, off hours, or weekends.
We'll trust you to:
• Write daily stories related to television breaking news and television series making an impact on social media and/or the industry (trailer posts, high-profile casting, network announcements)
• Pitch and write evergreen television content weekly such as lists and galleries
• Track editorial coverage of popular shows across top entertainment publications and identify potential news pickups that could register with IndieWire readership
• Pitch, in consultation with the TV Executive Editor, weekly essays and think-pieces related to television shows generating the most news buzz
• Add evergreen content and non-news stories to IndieWire’s editorial calendar for tracking.
• Maintain high level of editorial standards for all stories
• Widespread knowledge of the television news cycle and stay updated on the television release calendar
• An understanding of IndieWire’s television coverage and which shows, actors, and showrunners must be tracked
• The ability to pivot at any hour to write breaking news
• Two to five years’ experience writing and editing short-form pieces on a tight deadline
• Understanding of and obsession with television a must
• Experience using a CMS and social media platforms
• SEO knowledge a plus
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
For over 25 years, IndieWire has been covering the business and art of entertainment. With the respect of film and TV creators, executives, and passionate fans alike, IndieWire is known for being ahead of the curve with a unique editorial voice that combines in-depth industry reporting and analysis, breaking news, and its best-in-class Oscars, Emmys, and crafts coverage. IndieWire began in July 1996 as an online chat room and evolved to become one of the earliest online entertainment news outlets. As IndieWire grew, its coverage expanded beyond film festivals and the independent film industry to include all aspects of Hollywood and the expanding universes of TV and streaming and has continued to do so since being acquired by Penske Media Corp. in 2016.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, TVLine, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good.