Deputy Managing Editor
IndiewireLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
IndieWire: Deputy Managing Editor
IndieWire is hiring a New York City or Los Angeles-based Deputy Managing Editor to lead our growing News team. This role demands sharp writing and editing skills, and an ability to identify newsworthy stories and formulate snappy, traffic-driving headlines. Most of all, you have the talent for translating those skills to your team of direct reports of two to three other News roles.
This role oversees assigning breaking news across Film & TV, whether it’s aggregation, pre-writing trailer posts, writing up a press release, creating event galleries, or posting award winners or nominations as they’re announced. The Deputy Managing Editor should also make themselves available to consult on headlines with members of the Film & TV teams. Reporting to the Executive Managing Editor, they will collaborate closely with the Film & TV verticals to ensure all stakeholders are aware of the latest news and when stories should run.
The ideal candidate is a strong manager who understands the rhythms of our bicoastal News operation, including sending out the morning News email to the whole staff. They will also oversee IndieWire’s gallery and evergreen strategies, to drive demonstrated page views growth. On occasion curating the homepage, creating social posts, and self-written news posts will be necessary beyond the primary focus of this job: assigning and editing. Given the demands of breaking news, there’s an occasional need to work late, off hours, or weekends. This role can be based in NYC or LA and is expected to work East Coast hours.
We'll trust you to:
• Assign and edit daily stories related to breaking news based on what’s trending on social media and can be aggregated from other sites, in addition to trailer posts and other stories that can be pre-written in advance, then ticked live at an agreed-up time or embargo.
• Oversee, assign, and edit evergreen lists and gallery pieces.
• Track editorial coverage of popular movies and TV shows across top entertainment publications and identify angles/headlines for stories to Exec Editors of Film & TV.
• Add evergreen content and galleries to IndieWire’s editorial calendar for tracking.
• Maintain high level of editorial standards in editing all stories
• Edit stories from across the IndieWire team, as needed.
• Widespread knowledge of what’s trending and impacts Film & TV.
• A deep understanding of IndieWire’s audience.
• The ability to pivot at any hour to edit/assign breaking news or write yourself.
• Five years’ experience writing and editing short-form pieces on a tight deadline
• Understanding of the entertainment media landscape
• Social media and SEO knowledge essential.
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
For over 25 years, IndieWire has been covering the business and art of entertainment. With the respect of film and TV creators, executives, and passionate fans alike, IndieWire is known for being ahead of the curve with a unique editorial voice that combines in-depth industry reporting and analysis, breaking news, and its best-in-class Oscars, Emmys, and crafts coverage. IndieWire began in July 1996 as an online chat room and evolved to become one of the earliest online entertainment news outlets. As IndieWire grew, its coverage expanded beyond film festivals and the independent film industry to include all aspects of Hollywood and the expanding universes of TV and streaming and has continued to do so since being acquired by Penske Media Corp. in 2016.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, TVLine, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good.