HuluSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Hulu is looking for a clearances and licensing professional with entertainment marketing experience. The Marketing Legal team handles many aspects of legal clearances, including those related to marketing materials for Hulu's Original films and television series and other content released via Hulu, as well as brand marketing and original content production driven by the Marketing team. The Clearance Manager will review marketing creative and original content scripts to identify potential clearance issues and ensure appropriate clearance of names and places, artwork, props, costumes, photographs, film/TV/archival clips, mock-up designs, and building/architectural designs. They will also negotiate agreements with outside parties controlling rights to artwork, photography, footage, fonts, music, and other proprietary material used in marketing and original content.
The Clearance Manager will advise content producers and marketing teams of clearance procedures. In connection therewith, they will also review rough and final cuts of marketing videos and original content, websites, bonus content, behind the scenes/EPK materials, interviews, bloopers, deleted scenes, trailers, TV spots, e-mail creative, digital assets, commercial tie-ins, print ads, and other marketing materials.
• Review scripts to summarize potential clearance issues and necessary next steps.
• Throughout preproduction/production/post production, track and handle all requests from production and Marketing for use of graphics/artwork/photographs/props/set dressing/wardrobe/stills/footage/fonts/other.
• Transmit, follow-up, and track clearance requests to outside parties. Secure necessary licenses and/or permissions via boilerplate forms and protocols.
• Analyze proposed marketing creative, concept art, and graphics, including for standards and practices purposes. Elevate for additional review as needed.
• Consult, as needed, with IP and marketing counsel in connection with copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and contractual matters.
• View rough and final cuts to ensure compliance with clearance instructions.
• Coordinate and communicate with internal teams (e.g., labor relations, consumer products, music).
• Review and clear content in connection with advertising/promotional clearance matters.
• Manage and summarize in Hulu's format talent, ad/promo, and credit tie restrictions provided by studio partners, and work closely with Marketing teams to interpret and execute restrictions and provide guidance regarding contractual marketing approvals, as they apply to Hulu Originals and licensed content marketing assets.
• 3-5 years in entertainment marketing and/or content (e.g., major film/TV production entity or network) clearance position
• Knowledge of copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and other legal concepts sufficient to identify and communicate issues.
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Proven ability to take initiative and seek increased responsibilities
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and fluctuating environment
• Proficient in autonomously prioritizing work and managing deadlines
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Outlook and Word
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent work experience
JD or paralegal degree