Media Relations Manager
Houston RocketsHouston, TX
Full Time Job
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• Generate story ideas and provide information to media with intent to create, support or enhance stories.
• Assist with all undertakings of the Media Relations Department, including coordination of interviews and serving as the team's primary media contact on assigned road trips.
• Work with the Marketing and Corporate Departments to help integrate promotional opportunities into team or corporate partner events, which includes writing corporate press releases.
• Help monitor and facilitate media access periods at games and practices, cultivating strong relationships with the local and national media.
• Work with Community Relations to help promote events and initiatives.
• Aid in securing media coverage for all off-court events.
• Assist with media guides, department manuals and game notes.
• Write team press releases, supplying information used by media in covering team events and transactions.
• Assist with securing player buy-in for business side initiatives.
• Demonstrates our One Team philosophy of Passion, Accountability, Customer Focus, and Teamwork.
• Minimum of Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or communications related field
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience preferred
• Proficient in Word, Excel, InDesign and/or Mac applications
• Prior sports and entertainment industry experience preferred
• Must be highly organized, detail-oriented and technically minded; demonstrate excellent follow-through
• Must be able to make independent decisions; possess strong problem-solving skills
• Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Creative and proactive problem solver
• Must be able to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and selected holidays
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
• The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use handle or feel, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, communicate with others.
• The vision requirement includes the ability to review written and electronic materials in both digital and physical format.
• The employee must be able to transfer and move items for departmental needs.
The employee must be able to adjust to changing work hours and locations as needed in light of the strong focus on external communications and relationships.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.