Representative, Special Events
Houston AstrosHouston, TX
Full Time Job
Department: Special Events
Supervisor: Vice President, Special Events
Classification: Full Time (Exempt)
This position will be responsible for the direction and growth of Minute Maid Park as a special event destination in Houston. The Special Events Representative will be responsible for achieving sales and operational goals for special events. The representative will work with various departments (i.e. marketing, ticket sales, community affairs, etc.) to create and execute dynamic, new and exciting events which will support and promote Minute Maid Park as one of the most unique and highly attractive entertainment and events venues in Houston.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Engage in the team's special events sales activities to maximize revenues and ensure that sales activities meet and support corporate objectives.
• Responsible for creative event development, site tours and responding to inquiries via telephone, email and in person
• Will make sales calls to existing, previous and new clients
• Schedule and attend site visits with clients
• Be on site, execute and operate contracted events for less than 100 people
• Responsible for roles as assigned on large scale events
• Manage and schedule all internal meeting requests less than 30 people
• Prepare event proposals and all related materials and correspondence
• Organize and coordinate events with our Event Services team
• Research and implement the latest and most effective special event tactics
• Work alongside and be available to the Houston Open as needed for event activations and client communications.
• Responsible for working with Vice President to prepare and plan Pro-Am Drawing Party for the Houston Open
• Identify and attend trades shows and events with the greatest likelihood of generating positive returns
• Partner with Vice President to set sales targets and forecast monthly and annual revenues while setting short and long-term goals and strategies for event sales and operations
• Develop, recommend and implement sales strategies and goals to ensure growth
• Develop and direct sales support activities, including contracts, sales proposals, promotions and sales planning
• Identify leads and prepare proposals;
• Identify operational opportunities
• Work closely with all other departments to identify and achieve cross departmental revenue generation ideas;
• Oversee the coordination of accounts;
• Prepare weekly revenue and other reports;
• Work with other departments to maximize cross-selling opportunities and share new ideas;
• Develop and maintain good relationships that result in mutual cooperation and satisfaction with and for sponsors, clients, Astros staff, players and coaches.
• A minimum of 3 years of sales and/or operations experience with one to two years of that time in special events sales venue/environment
• Degree in sports marketing or related field; preferred
• Exceptional written and verbal skills
• Extremely creative and professional presentation style combined with a collaborative problem-solving approach;
• Demonstrated history of generating new and creative sales campaigns and ideas combined with a successful track record of closing deals;
• Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as required by the team schedule or special events schedule
• Must be able to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in a high-pressure environment
• Strong customer satisfaction orientation;
• Strong project management skills and sales proposal experience;
• The demonstrated ability to generate new and creative sales and operations ideas is REQUIRED.
• Proficiency in Microsoft office
• Developed network of local and national corporate contacts;
• Ability to anticipate needs
• Comfortable making difficult decisions, demonstrating and demanding excellence and executing requests in a timely, satisfactory manner.
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a largely sedentary role. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Rare travel maybe expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience Preferred 4