International Scouting Assistant West Venezuela, Baseball Operations
Houston AstrosHouston, TX
Full Time Job
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Venezuela Scouting Supervisor
The Houston Astros are currently seeking an International Scouting Assistant for the western region of Venezuela. This position will support the efforts of the International Scouting department by collecting and uploading data and video of international players in the assigned region.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Collect, organize, and upload player data and video to aid in evaluation process, primarily in the assigned region but occasionally outside of it as directed by Scouting Supervisor.
• Capture, edit, and upload video.
• Collect and organize prospect information.
• Interact regularly with trainers, coaches, and others throughout the baseball community in the assigned region to aid in the player identification and evaluation processes.
• Communicate with area scout in assigned region, Scouting Supervisors, and Houston-based staff to improve collection processes and efficiency.
• Assist in executing player tryouts.
• Occasionally evaluate players and communicate interest level through oral and written channels as assigned by Scouting Supervisors or Houston-based staff.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Baseball Knowledge
• Technical Capacity
• Communication Proficiency
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Detail Oriented
• Results Driven
• Teamwork Oriented
• Spanish Fluency is required
• Proficiency/Fluency in English is a plus
The work will largely be performed at a sports venue (indoor or outdoor- hot/cold environment) that could be heavily crowded with high activity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and/or climb up/down stairs; may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, sit and/or move/lift up to 50lbs of equipment or supplies; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
The employee for this position must have the ability to drive a vehicle.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position that will require a flexible schedule. This position requires travel throughout the assigned region throughout the year, and work on nights/weekends.
Required Education and Experience
• 2 years' work experience sought from a variety of backgrounds, including scouting, coaching/development, video & technology, engineering, coding, or a related field.
• Strong baseball knowledge is required, with playing experience a plus.
• Knowledge of local market and trainers, in particular in the assigned region, is strongly preferred.
• General proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel is required, with advanced skills a plus.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
• Experience operating/evaluating technology is strongly preferred.
• Coding ability in SQL and R is a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may evolve over time, based on positional needs and your skills and interests.