International Area Scout East Venezuela, Baseball Operations
Houston AstrosHouston, TX
Full Time Job
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Venezuela Scouting Supervisor
The Houston Astros are currently seeking an International Area Scout for the eastern region of Venezuela. This position will support the efforts of the International Scouting department by providing comprehensive evaluations of international players in the assigned region.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Identify and evaluate potential prospects throughout the International baseball landscape, primarily in the assigned region but occasionally outside of it as directed by Scouting Supervisor.
• Produce in-depth written and verbal player assessments of players in a timely manner.
• Develop and maintain relationships with trainers, coaches, and others throughout the baseball community in the assigned region.
• Aid in the process of collecting, organizing, and analyzing player data to streamline evaluation across player market.
• Interact with fellow scouts, Scouting Supervisors, and Houston-based staff to ensure effective coverage of area through scouting looks, data capture, and additional information sources as required.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Baseball Knowledge.
• Communication Proficiency.
• Problem Solving/Analysis.
• Detail Oriented.
• Results Driven.
• Technical Capacity.
• Teamwork Oriented.
• Spanish Fluency is required.
• Proficiency/Fluency in English is a plus.
The work will largely be performed at a sports venue (indoor or outdoor- hot/cold environment) that could be heavily crowded with high activity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and/or climb up/down stairs; may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, sit and/or move/lift up to 50lbs of equipment or supplies; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
The employee for this position must have the ability to drive a vehicle.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position that will require a flexible schedule. This position requires travel throughout assigned region throughout the year, and work on nights/weekends.
Required Education and Experience
• 2 years' work experience in baseball sought, preferably in scouting, coaching/development, or a related field.
• Strong baseball knowledge is required, with playing experience preferred.
• Knowledge of local market and trainers, in particular in the assigned region, is strongly preferred.
• General proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel is required.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred but not required.
• Experience operating/evaluating technology is a plus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may evolve over time, based on positional needs and your skills and interests.