Houston AstrosWest Palm Beach, FL
Full Time Job
Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisors: Director of Player Development / Assistant GM
Status: Full-Time/ Exempt
The Houston Astros are seeking a Hitting Coordinator to join the Player Development department based in West Palm Beach, FL.
The Hitting Coordinator is an integral part of our leadership team and will be responsible for managing, leading, and overseeing all aspects related to hitting development.
Working collaboratively with various internal stakeholders, this person will play a primary role in shaping the Astros hitting development philosophy and identify key training principles.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the vision and strategic direction of Astros hitting development programs; ensuring these principles are deployed throughout the organization and aligned with the overall organizational culture.
• Work collaboratively with our Sports Medicine, Sport Science and Player Development departments to help drive organizational initiatives and daily operations.
• Managing a staff of full-time Hitting Coaches, providing support in areas of leadership, education, program development and application.
• Deliver hitting development training for a variety of Houston Astros Players as required.
• Work closely with our Research & Development Department to help design, align and implement data collection strategies. Proactively used this information to drive training design, goal setting and player development.
• Provide mentorship, education and development opportunities for our Hitting Coaches.
• Periodic in-season visits to our MLB and MiLB locations for quality assurance and provide onsite assistance for coaches and players.
• Planning an overseeing the hitting departmental budget, logistics and needs.
and/or Experience and Skills:
• Experience as a Hitting Coach working with professional teams and/or college athletes.
• Demonstrated success leading teams in professional or college athletics
• Sound understanding of training methodologies and principles to improve hitting performance.
• Open minded person with proven problem-solving, strategic thinking and communication skills
• Familiarity with common performance technologies and their applications
• Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred, but not mandatory
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to frequently balance, lift and/or carry up to 100lbs of equipment or supplies. Additionally, it may be required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and/or climb up/down stairs, stoop, kneel, crouch, sit; use hands to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel to the Major League club and minor league affiliates during the season is necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience Preferred 3