Hollywood RecordsBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
• Negotiating and drafting agreements for live and/or recorded concert productions, score rental agreements, co-production and/or co-promotion agreements, merchandise agreements, sponsorship agreements, broadcasting licenses, vendor asset creation agreements and for the hire of production personnel involved in the creation and production of live concert events and/or recordings to be created for television and new media productions (including technical vendor agreements, choreographers, consultants, music editors, engineers and other concert production-related agreements).
• Directly responsible for managing Concerts team, along with working outside of the direct team to coordinate the creation, review and approval of concerts marketing and publicity assets and style guides with the Disney Music Group marketing, digital media and publicity teams.
• Direct responsibility for maintenance of all operations relating to the license of film concert assets from the date clearance phase through to negotiation, contracting, shipping & logistics, invoicing and final show settlements.
• Leading development of new business with concert licensees and/or strengthening relationships with concert customers with strong soft skills in fostering customer-service based perspective in dealings;
• Overseeing and coordinating with the finance/accounting teams in royalty payout calculations to songwriters/composers and/or content stakeholders in connection with concert business as well as providing support and feedback to the quarterly review of actual income and/or income and expense forecasting matters;
• Reviewing and providing guidance and support to the invoicing, payment and credit & collections process related to concert income and expenses;
• Communicating daily with Disney live events specialists in all ex-US Disney offices to coordinate strategy, business development and operating income growth tied to live concert productions (and the exploitation of same in various media);
• Coordinating and being directly responsible for the creation of new film concert titles and assets (including, without limitation, the budgeting, vendor-sourcing and quality control review and approval process);
• Overseeing the negotiation and pricing of licensed concerts (whether negotiated directly by Disney Music Group - and its Business & Legal Affairs team - or by its authorized booking agents);
• Advising on rights and uses of musical content in live concert recorded concert productions, marketing and promotions, publicity and other ancillary uses.
• Overseeing the concert date clearance process and liaise with other Disney lines of business to coordinate booking strategies with an eye towards minimizing market saturation and/or cannibalization.
• Supporting the Senior Vice President on all matters, including development of ongoing business strategy and operations and in reviewing/preparing data analytics for executive-level reporting and presentations;
• Advising and counseling other business units and ex-US offices with respect to the music-related portions of agreements involving live concert productions and negotiating and drafting the music provisions for such agreements; coordinating inter- and intra-company licenses with respect to exploitation of content for same.
• Managing the concerts operation database (currently Filemaker Pro) and oversee the data entry of contract and performance-related live event information and directly preparing and distributing periodic reporting for same (i.e., weekly and monthly reporting to internal and external stakeholders and partners using raw data from a Filemaker Pro database); working with technical support teams to streamline and automate processes from within same (e.g., developing scripts and macros to expedite automated reports and database queries).
• Reviewing and refining boilerplate agreements with repeat vendors and licensees.
• Minimum of 12 years of experience in the music and/or concert licensing and production-related areas or related experience.
• Extensive senior level experience in negotiation and drafting agreements in the entertainment field.
• Ability to work independently and reliably in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
• Strong working knowledge of excel (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookup functions, auto-calculations, sophisticated formulas, etc.)
• Expert understanding of business and legal concepts concerning music and live concert events and the ability to proactively and efficiently manage multiple projects and business partners at the same time. Strategic understanding of intellectual property and licensing issues from a studio and content distributor perspective.
• Knowledge of and experience with film concert playback systems and working with outside vendors to create new concert assets (e.g., technical directors, audio engineers, music and video editors, music preparation and copying teams, etc.).
• Strong understanding of music and audio preparation for live concert events (e.g., orchestral string counts, click track preparation, punches and streamers technology, synthesizer patches, vocal lead sheets, piano/vocal sheets)
• BA/BS degree from an accredited university.
• Expert understanding of Excel and Outlook email management strategies to handle
Disney Music Group is home to Hollywood Records, Walt Disney Records, Disney Music Publishing, Buena Vista Records, Marvel Music, Fox Music and Disney Concerts. The labels' genre-spanning rosters include Queen (in the U.S.), Sofia Carson, ZZ Ward, Breaking Benjamin, Bea Miller, Sabrina Carpenter, Joywave, Olivia Holt, morgxn, Tini Stoessel, Dreamers, DCappella, JD McCrary, Adam Hambrick and more. DMG also releases family music and film and television soundtracks such as the chart-topping ''Guardians of the Galaxy'' ''Beauty And The Beast,'' ''Descendants,'' Oscar-winning ''Coco'' and ''Moana'' soundtracks, and the Oscar and Grammy-winning ''Frozen'' soundtrack. Recent releases include ''Bohemian Rhapsody,'' ''The Lion King,'' ''Captain Marvel,'' ''Aladdin,'' and ''Toy Story 4.'' Upcoming titles include the highly-anticipated ''Frozen 2,'' ''Ford v Ferrari,'' ''Jojo Rabbit'' and ''Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.'' DMG has a rich catalog with a lasting legacy that has impacted pop culture globally, including music from films like ''Snow White,'' ''Pinocchio'' and ''Star Wars,'' artists like Annette Funicello, and beloved classics like ''It's A Small World.'' Disney Concerts licenses and produces hundreds of shows around the world, including Star Wars in Concert, Disney On Classic, Beauty And The Beast, Pixar In Concert and many more.
The Music Business and Legal Affairs department of the Disney Music Group is seeking an exceptional music executive with a minimum of 12 years of experience in the music and/or concert licensing and production-related areas, with a strong business acumen, strategic vision and an ability to target operating income growth. The ideal candidate must have excellent communication, negotiation, drafting and analytical skills and must be able to make quick decisions, simultaneously understand the ''business development,'' ''business affairs'' and ''legal affairs'' perspectives in evaluating a particular course of action, and work comfortably and efficiently in a fast paced environment.