Technical Product Manager - Data Science
Hearst TelevisionNew York, NY
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Technical Product Manager - Data Science jobs in New York-NY
Search all Technical Product Manager - Data Science postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Technical Product Manager - Data Science? Technical Product Manager - Data Science
Do you believe in the importance of local, community-focused journalism with a passion for using data science to solve real world problems? Does the possibility of using data to transform and streamline legacy business processes and decision making pique your interest? If so, Hearst Television is looking for you to be a founding member of our data science team. This team is tasked with finding meaning amongst disparate data sources that could redefine local media now and into the future. From storytelling and presentation, to news gathering and production and even distribution and monetization, there's no idea that's off limits! This team will work with executive stakeholders to identify data science projects with the biggest potential impact and prioritize ideas within the context of the greater digital roadmap. The expectation will be a cohesive team that will move swiftly on promising ideas, with an eye toward prototypes and MVPs to quickly evaluate ROI and determine which projects fail fast and which press forward.
Location: US-based with some flexibility. Potential locations include Washington, DC, New York City and additional cities on the east coast.
We are looking for a data science product manager to join our growing team of data experts and steer the product development for accurate data collection, processing, modeling and analysis. The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of product management to drive the roadmap for our data science team. This role needs to be able to understand the architecture around the full product to drive an end-to-end implementation of a data science project, starting with data ingestion and ending with deployment and scaling. As part of this, there will need to be a solid understanding of model choice, and how that machine learning algorithm can plug into the larger architecture to deliver a successful feature set. They will inspire and support the team in transforming insights into initiatives that will support business outcomes.
• Write requirements, refine use cases and steer development of data science products that will use advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
• Prioritize both overall projects and individual features to optimize business outcomes.
• Work alongside data science project and engineering team members to deliver products on time.
• Vet external vendors against product or feature needs, refine business models and assist in negotiating business terms.
• Assist with managing and optimizing processes for data intake, validation, mining and engineering as well as modeling, visualization and communication deliverables.
• Examine, interpret and report results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders in leadership, technology, other functional teams.
• College degree preferred
• At least 3 years of experience delivering results on complex, technical products or services
• At least 3 years of experience as a technical: project manager, program manager, product manager or data-driven investigative journalist
• Work experience with at least one of the following: machine learning, Restful APIs, microservices, data-assisted journalism databases, large-scale online recommendation, personalization, or distributed systems
• Ability to quickly learn and apply new skills required to excel in the role
• Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities
• Strong ability to plan and manage numerous processes, people and projects simultaneously
• Excellent communication, collaboration and delegation skills
• Five or more years of experience in software development and full product life-cycles
• Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability, and availability
• Experience with Data Visualization tools like Tableau, Power BI or Qlik
• SQL skills, ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries
• Experience working in local media
• Experience in Cloud platforms like GCP, AWS etc.
• Experience working with Offshore/Global teams