Hearst TelevisionMilwaukee, WI
Full Time Job
WISN TV, the Hearst Television ABC affiliate in Milwaukee, WI is looking for a Sports Director. We are looking for a Sports Director who can break the big sports stories, move beyond the dry press conference sound bites, enterprise compelling human interest stories, and find the unique angles that will captivate the non-sports fan. Our next Sports Director will turn sports stories for the newscasts during the week as well as anchor some weekday and weekend sportscasts. Must be able to enterprise exclusives, tell compelling stories, and execute energetic live shots. On-site attendance required.
• Delivers scripted and ad lib material with professionalism, personality, and purpose
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on sports and special project assignments
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow us to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Appears on behalf of the station at public events
• Ability to operate or learn to operate a news camera and editing equipment.
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid drivers license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Passion for sports required
• Previous television sports experience preferred
• College degree or equivalent work/military experience
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.