Hearst TelevisionLouisville, KY
Full Time Job
WLKY is looking for an on-air news Reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong story generation and writing, excellent time management skills and a positive, team-oriented attitude. We're looking for a reporter who can work a lead and break the big stories - who wants to own the big story every day. You must be able to work quickly, under tight deadlines, understand and implement direction and feedback, develop sources and collaborate with a photographer in order to tell the best story possible. Your reel should demonstrate live reporting ability.
• Work well with photographers, producers and managers
• Regularly plan, gather and assemble stories on day-of news, and other assigned stories. Must be able to write a package quickly, while also turning vosots for other newscasts and digital content.
• Works with a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound. Communicates prior to and after shooting with photographer on how to develop/tell story in the most visual and compelling way.
• Must provide photographer enough time to edit
• Must adhere to writing/editing timing deadlines for assigned newscasts
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Past reporting experience (3-5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to develop stories and cover breaking news
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Related military experience will be considered
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid driver's license
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights, nights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered