Hearst TelevisionKansas City, MO
Part Time Job
Reporter - PT Temp.
KMBC 9 News is looking for a Part-time News Reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we're looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we're looking for a reporter who isn't afraid to head out into the field and break the big stories. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news assignments
• Works well with a photographer to gather compelling video and captivating sound, writes to video
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under pressure
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• In-person attendance is required
• Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid driver's license and a clear driving record
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
• Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.