Hearst TelevisionWinter Park, FL
Full Time Job
Reporter - Brevard
WESH 2 News is looking for its next Brevard Bureau reporter. This position requires a hard-charging self-starter. He/She will work remotely out of the Brevard County Bureau, alongside a bureau photographer. Candidates must have strong editorial skills and be hungry to gather as much Brevard County news as possible on each and every shift. He/She must be able to handle launches from Cape Canaveral and speak intelligently on the missions, the technology and the people involved in the resurgence of the Space Coast. Living in Brevard County is also a must for this position.
The ideal candidate will be as strong on digital/social platforms as he/she is on broadcast.
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments
• Works with a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
• Able to understand and report on the technical aspect of space missions.
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Past reporting experience(5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Related military experience will be considered
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Can work in all weather conditions
• Has a valid driver's license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.