Paid Intern - Wjcl
Hearst TelevisionSavannah, GA
Part Time Paid Internship
Come join WJCL 22, the Hearst Television station in the Savannah/Hilton Head market as a paid intern! WJCL 22 is a key community partner in the area, providing breaking news, weather, and other information to local audiences through our newscasts and digital properties. WJCL 22 also provides entertainment programming and partners with the community on important local initiatives.
As a paid intern, you will come to understand how a television station functions, the many jobs available and the roles the TV station plays in the community. As an intern, you'll learn what it's like to work with a collaborative team across multiple departments, how we get news on the air and on our digital platforms, and the vital role other departments play at the television station.
In order to apply for an internship at WJCL 22, please provide a cover letter with your application. The cover letter should include:
• Semester i.e. Summer or Fall
• Department preference
• Available start and end dates
• Days and hours available to intern
• Briefly state your main objectives for participating in WJCL 22 internship (please be specific)
• What are your strongest areas of interest
College Internship Program Dates:
Summer 2023 Session
Application Deadline: March 15, 2023
Session: May 5 – Aug. 4, 2023
Fall 2023 Session
Application Deadline: August 20, 2023
Session: Sept. 19 – Dec. 9, 2023
*Dates are subject to change
What you'll do and learn:
• Explore broadcast and digital news operations and learn the responsibilities of the News Department.
• Be exposed to a fast-paced newsroom, the newsroom operations, and live production events
• Gain an overview of the technical areas of the station
• Help write and produce newscasts and news stories
• Contribute to brainstorming and idea generation with News and Creative Services
• Assist with special events and event planning
• Assist with the execution of newscasts
• Other duties as assigned
• An interest in journalism, marketing, videography, writing and editing
• The ability to be versatile, as interns handle a wide range of topics, subjects and tasks
• Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and copy-editing skills
• Must work well under deadlines
• Must be a team player and collaborator
• Experience with Adobe applications, camera equipment and newsroom systems are plus
ENGINEERING & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
The WJCL Engineering & IT team designs, integrates, and maintains technical equipment and systems to ensure the station functions efficiently and effectively. A wide array of equipment, systems, and software are used in a TV station. These range from desktop and laptop computers; transmitters and towers; remote newsgathering vehicles; graphics; video playback, recording, routing, switching, processing and distribution; networking hardware; data storage; video cameras; facility infrastructure; satellite uplinks and downlinks; lighting; audio systems.
Interns will learn skills and participate in the design, planning, installation, use, and repair of these systems and more.
The internship lasts 12 weeks during which each intern will receive basic training in each area and receive additional instruction in areas that interest them or are of particular use in their education/career path.