MMJ - Reporter
Hearst TelevisionLouisville, KY
Full Time Job
WLKY is looking for an MMJ Reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. This reporter must be able to shoot and edit own stories. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we're looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we're looking for a reporter who can work a lead and break the big stories. We are looking for this market's next leader who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions, and who will hold those in power accountable. The best candidate must be a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
• Works well with photographers, producers and managers to coordinate content production
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news
• Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Past reporting experience(2-5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Related military experience will be considered
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid driver's license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.