Hearst TelevisionLouisville, KY
Full Time Job
WLKY has an opening for a high-energy, highly skilled meteorologist for our weekend evening newscasts. We are looking for a severe weather expert, with excellent forecasting skills. Someone who knows the science, and can tell a relatable weather story. The right candidate is a hard-working dedicated teammate, and an accurate forecaster. Someone who understands the responsibility of keeping our viewers safe, conveying appropriate tone, summarizing complicated information, and staying cool under pressure. All WLKY meteorologists also have traffic duties, traffic reporting during the week will be part of this role.
• Prepare viewers with accurate, compelling, and understandable weather forecasts.
• Utilize all the technology and tools available, to tell an intriguing, personable weather story
• Provide urgent, immediate weather information before and during severe weather events
• Able to contribute content simultaneously on TV, our digital platforms and for our radio partners.
• Reporting live in the field during weather events, as well as working with the team in-studio if warranted
• Presenting live traffic reports, producing traffic segments
• In-person attendance is required
• Previous on-air experience in broadcast television news required.
• In-depth knowledge of weather science and forecasting.
• Proven on-air experience in handling breaking news and severe weather coverage
• Dynamic on-air presence with a conversational weather presentation
• Knowledgeable about how to interpret and translate high powered radar data
• Proficient in using weather system graphics and technology, experience with Baron a plus.
• Excellent forecasting and on-air skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to use common television weather systems,
• Radar experience
• Ability to do live field reporting on weather and other topics.
• Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Meteorology or related field
• CBM and/or AMS seal preferred
• Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.