Hearst TelevisionPittsburgh, PA
Full Time Job
WTAE-TV, the Hearst-owned ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh, PA has an immediate opening for a full-time Digital Editor.
We are seeking a digital-savvy digital editor who understands the Pittsburgh region in terms of its people, culture, sports, and news. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who has a strong sense of what information our audiences both need and want, and knows how to leverage a variety of platforms and forms of media to create engaging content.
Creativity with video, photos and social media is key, as well as being an avid storyteller and team-player.
The Digital Editor will support the station's mission by both creating and curating content from a variety of outlets, including the station's newsroom, Internet, wire services, and social media.
• Write/edit and publish breaking news, daily news, sports, weather and feature stories for the station's website, mobile and social media pages.
• Produce short videos and graphics to drive engagement on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
• Identify and gather information on potential news stories seen on social media and other news websites.
• Select stories and identify how to best tell those stories utilizing different platforms and types of multimedia.
• Collaborate in building daily multimedia content with station news management, reporters, photographers, assignment editors and producers.
• Manage live streams of newscasts and breaking news.
• Execute digital content plan on station events, major breaking news and severe weather.
• Integrate user generated content as part of ''crowd sourcing'' to complement our professional content.
• Journalism and social media background.
• Strong news and editorial judgment; knowledge of legal and ethical issues in regards to digital and social media.
• Excellent writing and editing skills with knowledge of AP style.
• Ability to work under pressure in a time-sensitive environment with a strong will to win in breaking news situations.
• Understanding of viral content – ability to produce content with viral potential and identify content before it goes viral.
• Ability to repurpose and recreate content in a way that is fresh, creative, and engaging to audiences.
• Willingness to learn new skills and quickly adapt to changing digital strategies.
• Must be able to work all shifts – nights, holidays and weekends included.
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related field is preferred.
• 1 to 3 years prior experience working for a television station, daily newspaper or in a digital environment
• Experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop a plus.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.