Hearst TelevisionPittsburgh, PA
Full Time Job
DIGITAL CURATOR – HTV NATIONAL NEWS DESK
Hearst Television is looking for a news junkie with an eye for viral content to join the National News Desk team as a DIGITAL CURATOR. The goal of the National News Desk is to provide national and international breaking news coverage to the Hearst Television stations that is both timely and accurate. The DIGITAL CURATOR will report to the Editorial Manager of National News for Hearst Television. This position is located in Pittsburgh.
• Source national/international news content of relevance to the HTV markets from AP, CNN and other third-party partners.
• Produce trending content sourced through and attributed to respected news organizations and/or social media platforms as needed.
• Respond to breaking news quickly and accurately, with superior news judgment to determine when to send push notifications and post breaking content to social media.
• Provide continuous updating, revising and expanding of developing stories, including images, headlines and video.
• Identify video for posting to HTV platforms from other HTV stations and third-party partnerships. Regularly produce video with a digital-first presentation.
• Manage live video streams, making them available to HTV stations both online, on mobile and on social media.
• Collaborate with HTV markets during big breaking news stories to source content and produce the most up-to-date stories for publication using our sources on the ground.
• Work a flexible schedule, sometimes covering weekends and nights.
• Demonstrated journalism background; strong news judgment; knowledge of legal and ethical issues in digital media.
• Demonstrated social media background; knowledge of legal and ethical issues surrounding social media
• Highly developed digital skill set with experience in content management systems, copy editing, digital video editing and Photoshop.
• Preferably Bachelors in Journalism or related field.
• Preferably 3-5 years prior experience working for a television news station or in a digital environment.
• Ability to write catchy, engaging headlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively with digital and broadcast journalists.
• Ability to prioritize assignments based on urgency and news judgment.
• Knowledge of editing and AP Stylebook standards.
• Ability to convey complex subject matter clearly and engagingly.
• Ability to catch spelling errors without electronic assistance.
• Ability to manage time and meet multiple daily deadlines for various projects.
• Ability to work overnights and weekends.
• Ability to be flexible in schedule to cover major and/or breaking news events.
• Ability to work with a positive attitude.
• Ability to work well in a multitasking environment with frequent interruptions, paying close attention to details.
• Knowledge of SEO and social media best practices.