Hearst TelevisionPittsburgh, PA
This was removed by the employer on 5/27/2021 10:13:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Copy Editor jobs in Pittsburgh-PA
Search all Copy Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Copy Editor?
Full Time Job
Copy editor – HTV Digital
Hearst Television is seeking a copy editor for its centralized Digital News teams. Primary duties for the position include proofreading, editing, reviewing and publishing digital content across more than two dozen local Hearst TV stations' websites and apps. The copy editor also will work with the Digital News teams to create accurate and engaging content.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and is passionate about news, grammar, punctuation and syntax. This position is based in Pittsburgh or Sacramento and will report to the senior copy editor.
• Copy edit following AP style, in-house style and grammar
• Ability to edit, write and rewrite content for news clarity, structure and tone
• Edit and write headlines, social copy and associated digital assets
• Use news judgment to prioritize copy edit requests, manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines
• Coordinate with local stations and existing digital teams to meet their needs
• Ensure ethical journalistic standards
• Collaborate with Digital News teams to offer fresh ideas relevant to audiences
• Produce trending and relevant content sourced through and attributed to respected news organizations and/or social media platforms as needed
• Respond to breaking news quickly and accurately, with superior news judgment to determine when to send push notifications and post breaking content to social platforms
• Manage live video streams, making them available to HTV stations both online, on mobile and on social media
The ideal candidate has:
• A passion for news, grammar and words
• Strong news judgment and understanding of journalism ethics
• Experience in digital news, familiarity with social platforms and knowledge of SEO
• At least 2-4 years of relevant experience; newsroom experience
• Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
• The ability to stay calm and focused in high-stress situations
• A positive attitude and clear communication style, especially for remote and digital work
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, communications, related field or relevant experience