Chronicle Field Producer
Hearst TelevisionNeedham, MA
Full Time Job
WCVB Channel 5, a Hearst-owned ABC affiliate, has an opening for a creative, self-motivated individual who wants to be part of our nightly half-hour news magazine program, Chronicle. The award-winning Chronicle recently marked 40 years on the air as one of the Boston market's most celebrated programs.
We are seeking an experienced field producer with a nose for a great story and a proven track record for writing and producing compelling, long-form programming. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, creative, and curious about New England and the world around us. Primary responsibilities include pitching show ideas, researching stories, setting up all elements, and executing compelling, visual stories on a mix of topics that can range from light features to hard news. Chronicle field producers accompany videographers in the field, gather all necessary video, conduct interviews, and work with editors to post-produce full half-hour programs. Position requires excellent writing and organizational skills; quick, creative thinking; and the ability to travel, both inside and outside New England.
• Research and develop story ideas appropriate for Chronicle audience
• Schedule interviews, secure permission for locations, oversee on-location shooting, and conduct interviews
• Log video shot in the field, acquire additional video and still photographs to enhance the story, and select music to accompany each segment
• Write scripts, and work closely with Chronicle editors to create compelling packages
• Generate collateral material for programs, including resources for website and social media channels
• 5 to 10 years of field production experience in television or film
• Strong journalism skills and exceptional writing ability
• Sense of creativity and curiosity and a broad range of subject-area interests
• Ability to organize and prioritize and work on schedule in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
• Flexibility and ability to work closely with others, including Chronicle videographers, editors, on-air talent and interview subjects in the field
• Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.