Assistant Director Of Engineering
Hearst TelevisionDes Moines, IA
Full Time Job
A Hearst Television station, KCCI-TV is a proven leader in local news and on the national stage. KCCI has a rich history of public service to our community. We seek an individual to join a management team committed to excellence.
KCCI-TV, the CBS affiliate in Des Moines, Iowa, is searching for an effective manager and passionate leader for the position of Assistant Director of Engineering. A strong IT background and understanding is required, including a detailed knowledge of the latest IT-based broadcast television systems. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to organize, plan, manage, document and execute assignments within a demanding live broadcast environment. The individual will be directly responsible for supervision of the installation, operation, and maintenance of all studio and field equipment and the supervision and motivation of the technical and operational staff responsible for the highest quality television product in the market. The position will also provide oversight of facility integrity and infrastructure, serve as the point person for logistics planning of special events and projects, and will assist the Director of Engineering in achieving station and departmental objectives and priorities. We are looking for a results-oriented leader with the ability to motivate, communicate, and interface with various departments.
• Assist Director of Engineering in daily departmental managerial tasks and on-going projects.
• Manage and support broadcast maintenance engineering and associated technical staff in their daily work assignments.
• Assist in maintaining satellite antenna systems, microwave antenna systems, signal distribution and routing systems.
• Exhibit a good working knowledge of television systems maintenance and IT systems, as well as FCC requirements and licensing.
• Oversight of all studio and field equipment.
• Assist IT department in support of systems as needed.
• Document and maintain engineering operational policies and procedures.
• Ability to adapt to multiple priorities and tasks and follow through until successful resolution is achieved.
• Requires excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure and during emergencies.
• Assist with capital budget planning and execution, with collaboration from other departments.
• Manage implementation of capital projects.
• Assist with oversight of engineering operations budget.
• Establish and maintain operational technical standards policies.
• Train and educate staff to understand all relevant systems.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Attention to detail - strong organizational and communication skills are imperative.
• Works and communicates with internal and external clients and customers to meet their needs in a polite, courteous, and cooperative manner. Committed to quality service.
• Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently. Works with minimal supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
• Computer and technical literacy. Demonstrate knowledge of vLAN configurations and managing critical updates to systems.
• Lifting 50 pounds, climbing ladders and other physical activity associated with equipment installation.
• Must have current driver's license.
• Aptitude for operating electronic equipment for broadcast transmission and production.
• The ability to work with other departmental leaders.
• Experience working in a union environment.
• Working knowledge of data networks, data communications, computer systems and equipment.
• Understanding of computer operating systems.
• Ability to follow drawings and schematics and troubleshoot systems and equipment.
• Working knowledge of audio and video technologies, both digital and analog.
• 5 years in television broadcast operations and maintenance, or military equivalent.
• 3 years of supervisory experience.
• Multi-channel television station automation and servers.
• File-based newsroom workflows and Adobe non-linear editing.
• Technical configuration experience with video routers, switchers, and video systems.
• Television transmitters and broadcast encoders.
• Understanding of various audio and video encoding types.
• ENG, SNG, and CNG transmissions.
• Knowledge of Virtual Server Platforms, VizRT and BitCentral Playback.
• SBE certifications.
• Other relevant educational experience.