Hearst TelevisionCincinnati, OH
Full Time Job
WLWT News 5, the Hearst owned NBC affiliate has an opening for a self-motivated Assignment Manager to lead our assignment desk and daily newsgathering effort in Cincinnati. Ideal candidate will be a highly-organized person with strong leadership skills and managerial abilities.
• Monitoring radio/scanners/social media for breaking news
• Coordinating and dispatching reporters and photographers in the field
• Maintaining court files and future event planning
• Set news coverage priorities by following the strategic news plan and breaking news coverage plans
• Gather information on stories by cultivating sources within official channels.
• Develop sources and generate story ideas
• Contribute to the station's digital platforms and help ensure our website has the latest content available
• Collaborate with other management to maintain and facilitate newsroom-wide communications systems and workflows
• Coach assignment editors on news gathering and digital responsibilities
• Must have experience listening to police scanners.
• Must be strongly versed in social media for both posting and news gathering purposes.
• Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
• Applicant will have strong people and phone skills as well as the ability to work in a team atmosphere. A strong emphasis on Breaking News is our culture so the ideal candidate must be open and willing to embrace the strategic mission.
• Must be highly organized.
• Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
• Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
• Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment.
• Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
• Must have excellent communication skills.
• Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media.
• Successful candidate will be required to contribute to all digital platforms, as well as monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
• Willing to work a variety of shifts, including weekends and nights (on occasion).
• College degree in Broadcast Journalism, or related field (preferred)
• Military training and experience will be considered