Weekend Digital Producer
Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
Full Time Job
Weekend Digital Producer
The Houston Chronicle is looking for a talented and well-versed audience development strategist who also has traditional reporting and writing experience. The ideal candidate will have expert news judgment and the ability to communicate across departments and work collaboratively. We're seeking an Weekend Digital Producer who can be a clear and sharp writer for our most important social media platforms and partner with the newsroom as a digital coach. Digital storytelling skills, technical acumen and excellent interpersonal communication skills are vital. The person in this position will be a content strategist and thought leader whose decisions will influence the newsroom at large and touch millions of readers in one of the largest, most exciting cities in the country.
• Work with editors and reporters to ensure stories are packaged, published and promoted in a timely way that generates engagement.
• Monitor all forms of media (print, TV, digital, blogs and social) and work with editors to identify and produce trending stories. The ideal candidate is always on the hunt for content that will be a topic of conversation in the community and help grow our audience.
• Excellent at writing accurate and interesting SEO and social headlines.
• Understand different ways to tell a story, particularly producing quick-turn interactives and short trending or breaking stories, when needed.
• Evaluate website data trends in an effort to make decisions on both daily content and longer term content development that will grow local traffic.
• Build positive working relationships with newsroom staff and management, work collaboratively on various types of projects, from major enterprise to breaking news.
• Responsible for driving audience by promoting content on site and social platforms
• Search optimization, shaping content plans on trending topics, and using digital best practices and teaching others to do so all with the goal of improving reader experience and growing subscriptions and traffic, particularly among local readers.
• 3-5 years' experience in digital media and journalism.
• Schedule flexibility: this is a role with a primary focus of elevating our journalism and reaching audiences on weekends.
• Understands web metrics and analytics tools to measure audience behavior.
• Great headline writer who can take into account SEO and social media.
• Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker.
• Capable of researching, interviewing, and writing original news articles.
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style.
• Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly.
• Comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry and thrives under pressure.
• Proficiency in MS Office; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About Houston Chronicle
The Houston Chronicle, one of the largest newspapers in the United States, was founded in 1901 and was acquired by Hearst in 1987. In addition to delivering in-depth coverage of local issues, the Houston Chronicle is committed to covering state, national and international news.