Weather Reporter / Producer, Express-News
Hearst NewspapersSan Antonio, TX
Full Time Job
Weather Reporter/Producer, San Antonio Express-News
The San Antonio Express-News has an opening for a creative, ambitious journalist to join a new statewide meteorology team operating within the newsroom. The Weather Reporter/Producer will write and produce science content that informs readers about weather news and information across the greater San Antonio area and beyond while pushing the boundaries of digital storytelling. Qualified candidates will be comfortable reporting their own stories and helping team members bring their ideas to life, while also juggling production tasks with the editor and meteorologist.
The Express-News is investing in weather forecasting, tools and information. This role provides a unique opportunity for a journalist to make an impact on a new team and in local communities while benefiting from the support of a newsroom of like-minded journalists working hard to tell the story of San Antonio.
What the Weather Reporter/Producer will do:
• Research, pitch and report original stories around weather events, historical content and science-backed explainers.
• Collaborate with the staff meteorologist, reporters, editors and other journalists during extreme weather events and breaking news.
• Assist in the creation and production of digital storytelling that informs local audiences about the weather that surrounds them. This includes, but is not limited to, newsletters, live blogs, storm trackers and social videos.
What it will take to be successful:
• 1-3 years' experience in digital media and journalism. An understanding of weather and climate concepts, with experience in a science or weather-focused role a strong plus.
• Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker. Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills.
• Understand different ways to tell a story, particularly producing quick-turn interactives and live blogging, when needed.
• A firm grasp of web production, audience, graphics or SEO best practices are a plus.
• This position is full time, with a hybrid work schedule (3 days in the office).
• Weekend and evening work may be required as news warrants.
• The successful candidate must be based in the San Antonio area or willing to move to the region.
The San Antonio Express-News has been the voice of South Texas since 1865, educating, informing, and entertaining an important and growing community. Its award-winning journalists cover the news that matters most, from restaurant openings and local events to the global economy, from military homecomings to foreign affairs, and from neighborhood struggles to international disasters. The leading news organization delivers unparalleled reach across multiple platforms, through a trusted portfolio of brands.
About Hearst Newspapers:
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP encompasses a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, several top digital-only news and lifestyle sites, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories – growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms – to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger – your headline awaits.