Systems and Network Technician
Hearst NewspapersFremont, CA
Full Time Job
Manage, maintain and troubleshoot workstations, servers and infrastructure in a time-critical manufacturing environment. Perform a variety of maintenance, evaluation, installation, and training tasks to ensure IT infrastructure meets company and user requirements. Work with colleagues to design and implement reports from production databases.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• ''Safety First'' awareness.
• Implement and maintain 5S principles throughout the work area.
• Ensure uninterrupted availability of production systems
• Troubleshoot complex Cisco network, W2K3/SUSE Linux server, and application environments to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
• Investigate user problems, identify their source, determine possible solutions, test and implement solutions.
• Log problems and resolutions for future reference.
• Administer network workstations, including Windows and Linux-based systems.
• Install, configure, and maintain desktop computers, file servers, ethernet cabling, and other related equipment, devices, and systems
• Design and implement database reports using standard tools such as Crystal Reports
• Anticipate communication and networking problems and implement preventive measures.
• Ensure timely user notification of maintenance and effect on system availability.
• Analyze, evaluate and recommend technology solutions to meet business needs.
• Research new products or procedures/best practices towards improvement of productivity.
• Evaluate and/or recommend purchases of computers, network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software.
• Develop and conduct various training and instruction for system users on operating systems, relational databases, and other applications; assist users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems.
• Assist personnel of other departments as a computer resource.
• Provide on-the-job training to new IT staff members.
• Provide computer orientation to new company staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
Experienced with computer use.
Degree in information technology or equivalent experience
Experience with high-availability technologies such as VMware, SAN, Blade
Experience with design/creation of complex reports using tools such as Crystal Reports
Experience in manufacturing or workflow system environments an important asset
Experience in managing with alternating situations in a timely manner pertaining to production deadlines.
Experience in effectively multitasking and still produce detailed and quality results.
Mastery of Windows and Linux (SUSE is an asset) servers and clustered environments
Knowledge of telecommunications infrastructure, including wireless and VoIP
Knowledge of how to manage Microsoft SQL, MySQL, SYBASE infrastructure
Very good English written and oral communication skills
Knowledge of server hardware and related equipment.
Knowledge of network security technologies and procedures.
Troubleshooting and time management and organizational skills.
Ability to handle many tasks at once with quality and production effective solutions.
Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
Ability to learn and support new systems and applications.
Ability to train and communicate technical information to end-users.
Ability to work independently with a sense of priority and immediacy.
Open to new technologies and excellent learning abilities
Able to perform effectively under pressure or tight deadlines.
Able to stay level headed/grounded with a number of tasks and still performing to a high degree of which the work is personally satisfying.
Contribute to Team Success, Flexible and Adaptable, Customer Focus, Initiate Action, Decision Making, Applied Learning