Summer Intern - Visuals
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Visuals Intern, Summer 2023
The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for a talented, energetic photojournalist to join our team for the summer. This paid 12-week internship typically goes from June to August, but there is some flexibility to accommodate school schedules.??
& Duties:? Will be assigned to cover a variety of news, features, sports assignments and visual essays. The intern is responsible for taking photographs, capturing video, initial photo editing, writing captions and some reporting.
What do you need to be successful?
• A strong online portfolio featuring still photography and video.
• Preferred experience includes campus publication or previous internship, stringer, freelancer or part-timer at a professional newspaper.?
• Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure.
• Experience transmitting photos and videos remotely.?
• Excellent photographic skills, keen attention to detail and strong news & ethical judgment.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees in the workplace.
• Must have a current driver's license and will need own a car or be willing to take public transportation
• An ability to write accurate, concise, typo-free captions on daily deadline.
• An interest in and enthusiasm for local & community storytelling
• A cover letter and résumé with references are required with all applications.
• This position will be scheduled 40 hours per week.
• Weekend, evening and holiday work may be required.
Vaccination Requirement: As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodation on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Please include in your application a portfolio of your work or links to your designs, along with brief explanations of your role in the execution of the pieces. Your role could include brainstorming, researching, art directing collaborators, project coordination, and design and coding. Applications are due by October 14, 2022.
About The San Francisco Chronicle:?
The San Francisco Chronicle (www.sfchronicle.com) is the largest newspaper in Northern California and the second largest on the West Coast. Acquired by the Hearst Corporation in 2000, The San Francisco Chronicle was founded in 1865 by Charles and Michael de Young and has been awarded six Pulitzer Prizes for journalistic excellence.
Our award-winning journalists provide insight into the people and events shaping the Bay Area, investigate wrongdoing and waste, and deliver the quickest and most reliable coverage of breaking news in Northern California.
Join our team!