Summer Intern - Metro Reporting
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
This was removed by the employer on 12/17/2020 1:26:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Internships Category
Search for Summer Intern - Metro Reporting jobs in San Francisco-CA
Search all Summer Intern - Metro Reporting postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Summer Intern - Metro Reporting? We're looking for a reporter to join our fast-paced, digitally focused metro team for 10 weeks in the summer of 2021. The intern will receive training and mentoring but also hit the ground running, covering a variety of stories and multimedia assignments. Breaking news is a focus of internships. However, there are opportunities to pursue other topics depending on interest and experience. The ideal candidate will hustle, work quickly and compete to be first on stories, while seeking to engage readers online through the smart use of social media, graphics and alternative story forms. We need someone with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills and is comfortable providing and taking feedback. The internship is paid.
Requirements: This position is full-time and will likely be a Monday-to-Friday schedule. Weekend, evening and holiday work may be required as news warrants. Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program. The intern will likely work remotely due to the pandemic, but preference may be given to candidates who reside in the Bay Area and are able to cover field assignments.
• Report and write news articles for The Chronicle and SFChronicle.com.
• Enhance stories by conceiving of photo and video opportunities and developing infographics in collaboration with the photo, design and digital departments.
• Receive training and mentoring from editors and colleagues across departments.
What we're looking for:
• Overall: Someone eager to find and chase good stories, while engaging online readers through compelling headlines and multimedia. Strong writing skills are important, as is a strict dedication to accuracy and ethics. The candidate must be able to self-manage, handle tight deadlines and communicate with tools like Slack.
• Newsroom experience: We are looking for someone who has some newsroom experience; previous internships preferred, but not required.
Mission: The Chronicle is the Bay Area's authoritative news source. This position serves as an intern on the metro team. The metro department provides insight into people and events shaping the Bay Area, investigates wrongdoing and waste, and delivers the quickest and most reliable coverage of breaking news in Northern California. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.